Slugs

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sutty

From Glossop, North Derbyshire, UK
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
4 to 12!
I've done 1st inspections of 3 of my hives in the last few days & in each I've found a few slugs at the top of the hive on the side walls and between the lugs.
I don't remember seeing this in previous years. I know it's been a mild winter - anyone else seen this?
It does imply the hive has been quite damp! Wood and poly both affected

I've done 1st inspections of 3 of my hives in the last few days & in each I've found a few slugs at the top of the hive on the side walls and between the lugs.
I don't remember seeing this in previous years. I know it's been a mild winter - anyone else seen this?
Not unusual and they are usually tolerated by the bees if not by the beekeeper. They don't need a lot of moisture to survive happily in the hive. I come across them from time to time and they tend to be mainly found, as you say, in between the frame lugs or in the corners of the hive - I've never seen any signs of them or any sign of them on the face of the combs. I've no idea what they survive on - hive debris I assume ?

I posted about leopard slugs being a problem several years ago. I started to use grit road salt around my hive stands in autumn and slug pellets in jam jars laid down under the hives. It did cure the problem of them getting into the hives and overwintering inside.

They're back again! I removed QXs and Apivar strips from my hives today and found several smallish grey/brown slugs on the hives, often creeping up between the hive walls and roofs.
I admire their endeavours to search for a niche: we rely on a 1k litre water butt to supply our greenhouse but the flow via the rainwater diverter from the garage roof down-pipe ceased on three occasions. Each time I discovered large tiger slugs blocking the flexible connecting pipe. I've no idea how and why they got there.

Latest posts

Back