sloping hive stands –-some advice, please...

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psafloyd

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Probably about 5/6 at the moment
I bought some sloping hive stands in the T sale and have just discovered the ones in the sale DON'T HAVE LEGS.

Apparently they are available with and without, I assume for those who use trestles or long stands, but I did not know this.

Can anyone advise what I may do to put legs on them? Can I simply cut down some 2 by 2 and screw them in from the side?

The 'proper' ones have a rebate for supporting the stand, but they also look rather short, and I think I'd prefer the legs a little longer.

Of course, I could always make up a long stand, but I had planned to use these independently.

As ever, any advice gratefully received.

Using 3"x 2" or even 4"x with a rebate would be stronger and more stable, legs can be made to the height you require.

Last edited:
Using 3"x 2" or even 4"x with a rebate would be stronger and more stable, legs can be made to the height you require.

Need to get a woodworker to do that for me, then.

Thanks, HM.

a set square , hand saw , pencil from pound shop put the wood inside of frame mark with pencil , use set square to get angles right and cut, very simple really try on scrap piece of wood to get the confidence and go for it

I bought some sloping hive stands in the T sale and have just discovered the ones in the sale DON'T HAVE LEGS.

Apparently they are available with and without ...

In the normal non-sale catalogue, there are the sloping hive stand and sloping hive stand with legs.
And in the sale last month as well.

In the sale I got a couple of the "sloping hive stand with legs" kits. I think the reason for them being a bit pricey (even in the sale) is that they have WBC-style splayed-out legs, so all the cutting and rebating is at funny angles.

I've had "sloping hive stands" mounted on bricks (2 high) and more recently mounted on (and fastened to) T's "National Hive Stand" which is a square base with simple straight wooden legs - and at Sale pricing in this year's Sale, not IMHO expensive for the cedar chunks. (A friend added a spare one for me to her order right at the end of the sale, so I know they were there.)

Since all these were in this year's sale, I think its wrong to say "the ones in the sale don't have legs".
Actually, with a free choice of the different versions, you chose "the only stand that doesn't have legs" ... ! :)

The 'sloping hive stand' is principally a simple way of adding a big alighting board.
T's 'sloping alighting board' is even simpler (and cheaper - even without being in the sale). It screws onto the floor. But though (much) smaller than the sloping hive stand, it is a fraction too big! Screwed on aligned to the entrance on T's floor, it projects below the bottom of the floor - which is 'unhelpful' if you then try to transport the hive ... but otherwise, it is a neat and tidy looking alighting board, especially when combined with the 'national hive stand', for a hive that isn't going to be taken to other apiaries.

a set square , hand saw , pencil from pound shop put the wood inside of frame mark with pencil , use set square to get angles right and cut, very simple really try on scrap piece of wood to get the confidence and go for it

Erm no - not simples at all. Do what I did buy a suitable length of 4" x 4" timber and ask the store to put it through the bench saw or whatever so they end up all the same length and with nice square ends!!

Ziggy

Erm no - not simples at all. Do what I did buy a suitable length of 4" x 4" timber and ask the store to put it through the bench saw or whatever so they end up all the same length and with nice square ends!!

Yeogi is talking about cutting the rebates.

I honestly can't use a straight saw to make a straight cut - let alone get the same measurement twice - rebates are way out of that league! If you're in my carpentry ability band ..................................................... get help!:hairpull:

can you divide a cake into eight portions and cut that cake up equal , its the same with wood nice and slow follow the pencil marks very easy using a square puts an accurate line onto the wood to cut

I just had a look at the hive stand in question and would it not be easy to just cut 4 pieces of wood 3x2 to your desired hight and screw and glue them in the corners so they are flush to the top of the stand so the weight of the hive is on the legs and not the sloping floor. Additional bits of wood say 2x3/4 can be screwed to the legs as braces to stop the legs from splaying out and making the whole thing sturdy, these can be placed say half way up the legs.

In last year's sale I got sent the sloping hive stand (with legs) instead of the one I ordered. Seemed ok. Bit of luxury for the bees instead of having to land on the front of the hive. Sloping legs not so good though. Probably more stable - if I had not planned to put the hive on a standard size paving slab. Had to get himself to make me up a stand to put the stand on.

I don't even have a workbench, Yeogi, but thanks for the advice. If I had, I might try that.

I just had a look at the hive stand in question and would it not be easy to just cut 4 pieces of wood 3x2 to your desired hight and screw and glue them in the corners so they are flush to the top of the stand so the weight of the hive is on the legs and not the sloping floor. Additional bits of wood say 2x3/4 can be screwed to the legs as braces to stop the legs from splaying out and making the whole thing sturdy, these can be placed say half way up the legs.

That would be a good idea, Redwood. Could get the legs cut at shop and muddle through the rest.

especially if its chocolate yum yum I forgot everyone on here loves cake

Its very difficult to divide a chocolate cake into equal portions. Therefore, to avoid any arguments, hide it and eat it when nobody else is aound.

That would be a good idea, Redwood. Could get the legs cut at shop and muddle through the rest.

Bring up the subject with people you work with... Theres bound to be somebody who can do it, or who has a friend who can.

I don't even have a workbench, Yeogi, but thanks for the advice. If I had, I might try that.

A Workmate is essential for the bumbling beekeeper.. like me..

Latest posts

Back