Siting of Toilets in Shopping Centres etc

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karsal

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
3 Pay*es Poly Hives 7 Poly Nucs
Grumpy old me or what!

Why do architects and planners site toilets inside buildings with just extractor fans to suck the foul air out? Should all these toilets have opening windows or vents that can allow fresh air to circulate and not air from within the building.
It beats me that a basic requirement such as fresh air doesn't seem to be a priority. Yes fans also can be used to bring fresh air in but often not a requirement or the fan is broken.
Airports, shopping centres and even hospitals have foul smelling toilets without fresh air from opening windows.

Grumpy old me or what!

Why do architects and planners site toilets inside buildings with just extractor fans to suck the foul air out? Should all these toilets have opening windows or vents that can allow fresh air to circulate and not air from within the building.
It beats me that a basic requirement such as fresh air doesn't seem to be a priority. Yes fans also can be used to bring fresh air in but often not a requirement or the fan is broken.
Airports, shopping centres and even hospitals have foul smelling toilets without fresh air from opening windows.

Passive stack ventilation is often used, with an adjacent stack to provide inlet air. Similar in principle to the SE duct or U ducts which were popular in high rise buildings for gas flues until the Ronan Point explosion.
Even with a fan failure warm air from within the building should provide motive force for airflow.

doesn't help that people keep dumping their guts in them :D

Personally I just use the toilet in fast food restaurants as they are usually better maintained. I wouldn't buy their food though.

Nothing better after a morning's shopping - sneaking away for a McSh!t and lies :D

Grumpy old me or what!

They'd climb in round our way rather than pay the 20p! :)

Back