Siberian way to fish on ice covered lake

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Russian are the best ice fishers in the world. No one win them in international ice fishing competition. (said a Canadian fisher)

During last World War Russian war prisoners teached the habit to the Finnish.
Now it is great hobby in winter.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ejJppMI6KI&feature=related[/ame]

In England rarely do gentlemen eat coarse fish ie anything that swims in freshwater except the odd trout or possibly salmon.
In London they eat eels in a pie with somewhat revolting green gravy!
Some sea fish are eaten... mainly cod and plaice.... but I like a nice seabass.. caught a 4kg one in the surf at Bude in the summer !

View attachment 7516

but I like a nice seabass.. View attachment 7516

Any other kind of bass in Britain then FFS!? You don't say seacod so why seabass? :D you'l be saying next that it was pan fried (as opposed to the old tradition of frying it in a P**spot!) some things do get me a wee bit tetchy!!:D

Last edited:
Any other kind of bass in Britain then FFS!? You don't say seacod so why seabass? :D you'l be saying next that it was pan fried (as opposed to the old tradition of frying it in a P**spot!) some things do get me a wee bit tetchy!!:D

Sealing are related to seacod, very nice,do you like seamackerel,nice with a bit of seasalt:iagree:

Pan fried as in not deep fried. Often intended to mean "this is not a chippy". Not always a positive sign. :)

There are at least fish called bass in freshwater elsewhere if not in the uk. Seagulls on the other hand can be miles inland and will still be called seagulls, even if all the field guides insist they are herring gulls, black headed gulls or whatever.:)

Any other kind of bass in Britain then FFS!?

What abut a double bass
:D

The best fish what I know is arctic char Salvelinus alpinus.

The Swedish call it "red belly". Its taste is like mixture of herring and salmon.

Arctic char or Arctic charr (Salvelinus alpinus) is a cold-water fish in the Salmonidae family, native to Arctic, sub-Arctic and alpine lakes and coastal waters. It breeds in fresh water, and populations can be either landlocked or anadromous, migrating to the sea.[1] No other freshwater fish is found as far north. For instance, it is the only species of fish in Lake Hazen, on Ellesmere Island in the Canadian Arctic. It is one of the rarest fish species in Britain, found only in deep, cold, glacial lakes, mostly in Scotland, and is at risk from acidification. It is also found in deep mountain lakes in England, Ireland and Wales such as the Lake District.

Nieri%E4+eli+rautu+kalastajan+k%E4siss%E4+(Salvelinus+alpinus)+81974.jpg

That looks beautiful, but I still feel a bit sick. I can't get the image of the Finnish lake fish pie out of my mind. Kedgeree is good for breakfast. All other fish before noon are an incitement to nausea.

Finnish lake fish pie out of my mind. .

Do you mean this?

large.jpg

That read belly fish does not live in Finland. They are few. They are cultivated in the mountain lakes of Sweden or in Iceland. They need very cold water.

Do you mean this?

large.jpg

That read belly fish does not live in Finland. They are few. They are cultivated in the mountain lakes of Sweden or in Iceland. They need very cold water.

Mmmm hmm :puke:
The only fish you should see wrapped in bread is a fish finger :D

One of my Northern colleagues serves fish finger sandwiches when it's his turn in the galley - white 'rooftile' sliced bread, fish fingers a genuine cheese flavour substitute slice and ketchup - also known as GSF : Geordie soul food:D

One of my Northern colleagues serves fish finger sandwiches when it's his turn in the galley - white 'rooftile' sliced bread, fish fingers a genuine cheese flavour substitute slice and ketchup - also known as GSF : Geordie soul food:D

I understand your attidue to the food. Indians and Chinese have arrived to Britain to make food to you.

I understand your attidue to the food. Indians and Chinese have arrived to Britain to make food to you.

:iagree: - we can't understand a word he says either :D
Yes Finman - we are pretty adventurous when trying different foods - I have been known on occasion to try the odd English dish :)

Last edited:
I'm going to have nightmares seeing that fish pie again.

Latest posts

Back