Do you keep bees the "Darwinian" way?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd go further: when someone (like Norman Carreck) is recognised as a scientific advisor yet expresses views on their personal website in support of one particular view, that person is clearly not to be trusted as an impartial observer.
I hire a Financial Advisor.
I would would hate it if she were impartial. I can look at all the options myself, but I need her to advise me. That would require her to have an opinion (hopefully one in my best interests, not hers!). An advisor is not the same thing as an impartial observer.

I hire a Financial Advisor.
I would would hate it if she were impartial. I can look at all the options myself, but I need her to advise me. That would require her to have an opinion (hopefully one in my best interests, not hers!). An advisor is not the same thing as an impartial observer.

Ahhh...you'd like to stray into agency theory now. ;)

That's fine. It's always valid to ask who's getting what out of a transaction. However, two of my degrees included financial strategy so I wouldn't ever employ the services of a financial advisor

Ahhh...you'd like to stray into agency theory now. ;)

That's fine. It's always valid to ask who's getting what out of a transaction. However, two of my degrees included financial strategy so I wouldn't ever employ the services of a financial advisor
Actually no, I know nothing about finance. :oops: I'll get back in my box.

The following must have been posted here in the past. if so, my apologies:

"The temperature inside the hive in the area not occupied by bees falls just as low as the outside temperature, whether the colony is packed or wrapped. The only difference is the rate of temperature change in the heavily packed hive is slower than in the lightly wrapped or unprotected hive. Insulation on the hive slows temperature changes within the hive.
> If warming periods that allow a brief cleansing flight in winter do occur, the heavily insulated colony may not be aware of the change and would fail to take advantage of a flight. For these reasons, heavy packing or insulation are not recommended."
Agricultural Research Service UNITED STATES DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE
In cooperation with The University of Wisconsin College of Agricultural and Life Sciences

The following must have been posted here in the past. if so, my apologies:

"The temperature inside the hive in the area not occupied by bees falls just as low as the outside temperature, whether the colony is packed or wrapped. The only difference is the rate of temperature change in the heavily packed hive is slower than in the lightly wrapped or unprotected hive. Insulation on the hive slows temperature changes within the hive.
> If warming periods that allow a brief cleansing flight in winter do occur, the heavily insulated colony may not be aware of the change and would fail to take advantage of a flight. For these reasons, heavy packing or insulation are not recommended."
Agricultural Research Service UNITED STATES DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE
In cooperation with The University of Wisconsin College of Agricultural and Life Sciences

Any minute now, Derek will be along to discuss the thermodynamics of the situation but it's much more complicated than that. Bees are a biological entity that adapt to different environments.....just look at Michael Palmer in Vermont compared to Bob Binnie in Georgia. These are such different environments that the same bees would not do well if suddenly transported to the others location. Naturally, your management techniques should change to suit the location.

Any minute now, Derek will be along to discuss the thermodynamics of the situation but it's much more complicated than that. Bees are a biological entity that adapt to different environments.....just look at Michael Palmer in Vermont compared to Bob Binnie in Georgia. These are such different environments that the same bees would not do well if suddenly transported to the others location. Naturally, your management techniques should change to suit the location.
Yes. Location location.
Bees in my apiary do better and come out stronger in Spring in insulated hives.

Roger that! There goes the cliche: "All beekeeping is local." Or could be loco? Despite the above article I cited, I WOULD wrap to slow down the speed of the temp fluctuation, a huge benefit to me even in a warm climate.

Roger that! There goes the cliche: "All beekeeping is local." Or could be loco? Despite the above article I cited, I WOULD wrap to slow down the speed of the temp fluctuation, a huge benefit to me even in a warm climate.

I'm sorry @Earthboy. Some of your expressions leave me scratching my head wondering what you're talking about. Perhaps, just keep it generic for the sake of us who are limited in our linguistic skills to English. Thank you.

EDIT: Ahhh...You mean wrap your hives in "tar paper". :) I thought you were about to launch into a rhyming ditty with a gangster theme! :ROFLMAO:

So
I'm sorry @Earthboy. Some of your expressions leave me scratching my head wondering what you're talking about. Perhaps, just keep it generic for the sake of us who are limited in our linguistic skills to English. Thank you.
I AM very sorry. English is my turd [third] language after Okie.

I'd go further: when someone (like Norman Carreck) is recognised as a scientific advisor yet expresses views on their personal website in support of one particular view, that person is clearly not to be trusted as an impartial observer.
I didn’t get the impression that he was not being impartial during his talk - though of course we know he’s v supportive of the native / local bee, which was backed with lots of scientific evidence throughout his talk, rather than a personal hunch. His comment at the end about size of colonies wasn’t pushed in any way, but framed as a ‘suspicion’ which requires more work.
Couple of lectures I noticed in the BBKA Spring on line conference program worth watching, another by Steve Martin ‘The evolution of natural varroa tolerance’ and Keith Delaplane ‘How honeybees use genetics to solve their problems’, will perhaps continue the ‘nature vs nurture’ debates

Couple of lectures I noticed in the BBKA Spring on line conference program worth watching, another by Steve Martin ‘The evolution of natural varroa tolerance’ and Keith Delaplane ‘How honeybees use genetics to solve their problems’, will perhaps continue the ‘nature vs nurture’ debates
This is the one he gave at the WBKA on Saturday. One of his observations being that there is a lot of evidence that varroa management is learned rather than inherited

with the major bonus supposedly being that V. destructor populations will be naturally supppressed.

Professor or not but that needs a lot imagination.

How heck that natural supression happens? But there is that "supposedly" word in the sentence.

there is a lot of evidence that varroa management is learned rather than inherited

Some collective memory or what? Should we show a video to the colony every now and then, how to do it.
How they learn in the darkness. 2000 new bees every day and they should learn to kill mites

I watched Prof Martins presentation to the WBKA conference on saturday. He talked about lots of things I already knew but failed to mention a lot of the work going on in Europe. I've noticed this a lot in English-speaking presenters - they ignore/are oblivious to work in other languages. I'm becoming much more aware of the personal bias being expressed by certain individuals.
Thanks for putting up that link. You are right, I became acutely aware of that sort of thing when I returned from living abroad, seems to be an "english sickness" that afflicts certain people in all walks of life.

Reactions: B+.
I watched Prof Martins presentation to the WBKA conference on saturday. He talked about lots of things I already knew but failed to mention a lot of the work going on in Europe. I've noticed this a lot in English-speaking presenters - they ignore/are oblivious to work in other languages. I'm becoming much more aware of the personal bias being expressed by certain individuals.
I have German work colleague. I few years ago, during a French Farmer port blockade - or it could have been a Ferry strike of some sort, he was incredulous at the Daily Mail headline:

‘Europe Cut Off'

Some collective memory or what? Should we show a video to the colony every now and then, how to do it.
How they learn in the darkness. 2000 new bees every day and they should learn to kill mites

If bees can be taught, I'd like the ones that can learn to make honey.

Latest posts

Back