Show class- light or dark honey?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beeboybee

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
6 >12 - 14x12 + Nucs
how light is light honey?

Thinking of entering a show but unsure which class to enter my honey?

Class 1 Two 454g jars of Light Honey
Class 2 Two 454g jars of Medium Honey

how do i choose which class to enter is there a colour chart somewhere or a recognised way of deciding:willy_nilly::willy_nilly::willy_nilly:

Look up honey judge glasses. They are tinted for the various classes.

PH

enter both to be on safe side, then the show steward should advise on which class to enter when you get there

its all a bit confusing as its my first go at a show!!! think i will enter both classes to be sure,

any top tips on filtering honey!;)

Look up honey judge glasses. They are tinted for the various classes.

PH

Apparently judges don't always have glasses and go by their own judgement. So judging can be somewhat arbitrary, especially for borderline cases.

Apparently judges don't always have glasses and go by their own judgement. So judging can be somewhat arbitrary, especially for borderline cases.

Qualified honey judges should always use grading glasses. As they are in short supply, the show secretary should offer to check honey at the point of entry - now that Thornes now longer sell them.

Adam

its all a bit confusing as its my first go at a show!!! think i will enter both classes to be sure,

any top tips on filtering honey!;)

You take a couple of jars to the show. You ask Show Steward if these are dark/med/light honey. He/she gets out grading glasses and tells you which category they fall in to. You enter your jars accordingly.

Filtering honey: Norman Chapman's book 'Constructive Beekeeping'.

thanks everyone i think i will go for the medium category,
hope this is not a silly question.... do we get the honey back after the show?

If you look at the order of events there may be a section at the end stating "Removal of Exhibits" so that is when you get your honey back.

Good luck.

Norman Chapman Amazon Bestsellers Rank: 511,930 0 reviews, 0 stars.

Ted Hooper: Amazon Bestsellers Rank: 6,745 in Books 38 reviews giving 4.5 stars

I can see now where some of the rather interesting comments come from now.

PH

If you look at the order of events there may be a section at the end stating "Removal of Exhibits" so that is when you get your honey back.

Good luck.

Depends on the class. Some gift classes, no, you don't (but believe it or not you can buy your own honey back from that class), most classes, yes, you get it back.

Adam

Back