should i start feeding?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beekim

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
HI first year beekeeper i have been treating for verroa for a week bees have a lot of pollen and honey stored and there is still a lot of flowers for them to forage from should i start feeding now or leave a little longer?thanks.

Convention says feed after the Autumn Varroa treatment has finished............

quite why that should be, however someone here will soon be along to explain just why !

Convention says feed after the Autumn Varroa treatment has finished............

quite why that should be, however someone here will soon be along to explain just why !

just a gesus tho but id say no if some one corects me much apriated but autom in england typicaly is .. ? and not much forage so id say no need to feed like feeding in the midle of summer un herd of init ? 1st year so im probly wrong :) im comeanting mainly so i can fined thread as well to read the ressoning but i think if u get you hive to a certain weigt rather than over feed etc

every one will have a difrent answer but iv been told over feeding kills just as many bees as under feeding :)

just a gesus tho but id say no if some one corects me much apriated but autom in england typicaly is .. ? and not much forage so id say no need to feed like feeding in the midle of summer un herd of init ? 1st year so im probly wrong :) im comeanting mainly so i can fined thread as well to read the ressoning but i think if u get you hive to a certain weigt rather than over feed etc

:)Pure ESTUARY... love it !!

There are times in the year when the feeding of bees can be beneficial or essential.

In the Autumn after the honey crop has been taken off it is necessary to give sufficient food to see the bees through the winter and into the spring when nectar will be available again. but myn are still getting nectar so why feed in my opion but obvesly typicaly like it says you should + what does ESTUARY mean ? :)

oh just to add 1st year to so dnt take my word lol as if every one says im wrong im wrong lol doing varo treatmeant to atm but arfter will see how many frames are full of honey + capped

+ what does ESTUARY mean ? :)

he may be refering to your spelling and grammar being stereotypical of someone born near the mouth of the Thames ! :rolleyes: (although may be wrong!)

I do not feed until until after the Autumn treatment (I will be starting mine on Sunday), although if any 'need' food, I give them a few litres beforehand (tomorrow!).

The ivy is just coming out so if the weather holds that may provide a late feed. When that is over I will look through mine to assess how much to feed

icanhopit - at least it's not pure Tamar estuary!!!!! (the smell of that cremyl ferry mud)

OP - many beeks have actually been feeding on and off for most of the year as i understand it.

start feeding after varroa treatment ie typically from mid sept on?

DOI: raised in Barking, Essex & Plymouth (just over the dark waters from ICHI) - so 1/4 one and 3/4 the other.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back