Should i AS or remove Q cells?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waverider

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I think I have managed to make things awkward for myself!

I have a colony that produced a couple of queen cells last week that I then removed before they were fully developed. This afternoon I inspected the hive and noticed 4 queen cells I have removed these.

The hive has a super added last week with 70% of the super frames now having had the wax drawn. The queen is 2011 and appears to be a good egg layer due to the brood development.

The issue/dilemma is that I am away from the 2nd to the 9th of June for a week. A friend of mine who has little experience with bees plans to inspect them around the 6th for queen cells. My concern is that I should have done a AS today rather than removing the cells. I was trying to keep it simple for when I am away however I think I have made it worse!

This week should I wait to see if they produce queen cells then AS before the 2nd and swiftly educate my friend on AS procedure for the following days etc or should I continue to remove the QC and consider an AS when I return on the 9th? Or not AS at all.

I think queen cells produced 2 weeks running despite discouragement means they are determined to head for the hills. it just takes one missed QC - I'd hedge my bets and AS sooner rather than later, all your mate needs to do then is move one hive to the other side of the original's location 7 days later - doesn't even need to get his /her hive tool dirty and you can relax while you're away :)

Another solution would be to cancel going away for a week until the end of the swarming season.

Wish it was that simple however thats not an option.

Think what is best is check near the end of this week for QC'sas currently there are none. If present do an AS.

Be aware that they could be gone in four days (building on a three day old larva). Continually thwarting the swarming impulse is only OK if you can afford to take the risk.

No simple answer now, I would think, but next time there is any possibility of a clash (holidays and bees) looming, draw yourself a simple time-line and project forwards to see if whatever you plan on doing is feasible, if the bees happen to disagree with your actions.

Remember that someone should inspect both hives around 6 days after the AS to remove any new unwanted QCs to avoid casts.

Latest posts

Back