Short Term Observation Hive?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

malawi2854

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Hello all,

I've been toying with the idea of purchasing a small observation hive, which I could take into a local nursery school (which my sister owns), in order to show all the little people the bees, without fear of them being stung, or being unduly scared of them!

I have been looking around, and all the observation hives I can find seem to assume you'd want them set up for some time - I'm literally thinking of them being in the observation hive for perhaps a day at a time, tops? Very possibly only a few hours.

I've been looking at this one, on eBay: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300616735015

It looks nicely built, and nice and secure. I would be with it at all times, so no fear of it being opened accidentally (although I'd probably cable tie those clips, if possible).

Can anyone tell me if I would likely encounter any problems have a frame of bees cooped up in an observation hive for a day or so without access to the outside world?
I don't think I would go with having a queen in there.

Would the bees be OK? Could I put the whole frame back into my hive at home the following evening without any problems?

Thanks!

We have a one frame obs hive we use at shows and it's great but at the last show it was checked out by several foraging bees.
They could possibly overheat or chill but so far not had that problem.

When I did demos at schools there were two things that I noticed the ob needs.

The kids get VERY excited and push and shove to get as close as they can.

From that I modded mine to have a broad base that I spanseted to a sturdy table, and I made sure the school understood I needed a heavy table for safety reasons... and 2ndly that they will rap the glass so again I modded mine to have a false perspex glass so they were unable to touch the primary cover. Again a safety measure.

the ob by the way took one brood frame and one super frame with a feed hole meshed over at the top so I could give water if needed.

After that it was plain sailing and great fun as there is so much a good teacher can do with bees, nature, maths, play acting... on it goes.

PH

sturdy base is a must and I clamp mine to a Black and Decker workmate ;)

I have also been looking at the hive you link to as I thought I could add an eke for 14 x 12 easily or an extension for supers. The other idea I am toying with is an mini observation hive, one to take Apidea frames, to cause even less disruption to main hives which is what happens with the observation hive.

There are also nuc boxes you can lift frames up from e but all seem much more money.

I helped look after an obs hive at a show earlier this year. The owner is an old hand at beekeeping and demonstrations and like the previous posters, he had the obs hive secured to a solid base - in this instance an old piece of kitchen worktop - to which the obs hive was attached by screws and brackets. His obs hive is essentially a five frame Nuc with the glass viewing section on top. A piece of Queen excluder sits under the frame in the viewing window to allow the workers to move around but it keeps the queen up top busily laying. The queen tends to stay on the more shaded side of the viewing window. The frame of the viewing window is vented with pieces of mesh that the bees cannot pass through. These vents are also useful in that they allow you to spray a mist of water into the viewing window to help the bees moderate the temperature of the obs hive.
I should add that the viewing window/lid of the obs hive is held in place by over-centre catches/toggles and these were padlocked in place.

Thanks for your replies all - what about not including a queen, and the subsequent reintroduction of "queenless" workers to a Q+ colony again?

That is the bit that really concerns me (naturally, I'm considering the happiness of my bees over that of some snotty children...!) :biggrinjester:

"I have also been looking at the hive you link to as I thought I could add an eke for 14 x 12 easily or an extension for supers. The other idea I am toying with is an mini observation hive, one to take Apidea frames, to cause even less disruption to main hives which is what happens with the observation hive.

There are also nuc boxes you can lift frames up from e but all seem much more money."

since the item on fleabay is, i presume, made to order in the workshop alluded to in the listing i would imagine that the seller could arrange 14x12 or brood+ super versions or even nuc lids with obs piece on top (as per Th*rnes luxury item).

I bought a wonderful one from a forum member, Tom Bick. Beautifully made and I take it into schools- very safe. Use whenever I do talks- trebles the interest.
Tried to upload pic- cannot manage at the mo- email me if you want to see pic of Nuc

TBH there is no point in an ob with no queen, it is the one thing everyone knows about and wants to see.

Your colony will be fine for a few hours and then they get her back.

PH

I agree, mine is a queenright colony. 5 frame, from a small cast last summer. Now a full box, but good to move on in the Spring, and then replace with a new cast... Just have to time it right with any talks!
They all want to see the queen not worthy - dare not mark a drone hoping to cheat- bound to be someone there who is a bee keeper- :blush5:

Latest posts

Back