sheep deaths

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
High powered fullbore air rifles are nothing new though - they were very popular in 18th century Germany and were used for deer hunting. There are a few examples in the Royal armoury - I remember seeing them when it was housed in the tower.

Do they come out from the towns or have they moved out from the towns to live "the Country life"?

Mostly Idiots in either case.

Had a bunch in our village, plenty of money, walked their dog twice a day, no lead, no poo bags, regularly cleaned the housemartin's nests from the front of their house Spring & Summer.

But "loved being one with the countryside"!

Oh and on the parish council!

Classic... did they ask you to move you bees because they **** on the nice shiney new german car.... windows... washing.. and... asked you to dispose of the cockerel because it was too noisy on a Sunday morning... or get the local chapel / church to silence its bells as they needed a lye in afrer the Saturday night binge???

And is it a SECOND HOME ????

Yeghes da

Not just in Cornwall then

Last edited:
Yes - it's terrible - but I just don't think it looks like a dog attack .. no signs of savaging of the sheep and the way they are all packed into that gateway it could not be just one dog ...a friend of my daughter who farms sheep on the Devon borders lost 10 pregnant ewes to rustlers last year and he found four more dead in the field - he assumed from the shock of being chased by the thieves. There's something about this situation that is just very odd ... I'm no expert on sheep (although I've done a bit of herding and lambing) but a flock is more prone to splitting when the dog is inexperienced - it takes a good dog to keep a flock this size together. I do wonder ...

I must admit seeing more about it and the pics I am thinking rustling. especially as they were at the gate. maybe they got the animals to the gate then reaslised it was to muddy to get the lorry to them by which time the damage had been done.

It was a closed flock that had been breed over 15years for the farmers requirements. I will find out more when I speak to the farmer where I keep my bees, I'm sure there is m0re that hasn't been released to the press yet.

I agree with many of the posts, THIS IS UNLIKELY TO BE A DOG ATTACK. We had a dog problems some years ago with several savaged by a dog. A dog will at least pull wool from the sheep and will usually go for the throat or fore legs. We knew who owned the dog, but could not prove it was the animal which caused the problem. The police were not experienced in this problem (in Cambridgeshire), if they were a vet would have been called to make the dog sick, if wool was present in the vomit we would have had the proof for compensation. We claimed off our NFU insurance for one dead sheep and the vet bills, but the NFU would not cover us in the future for dog worrying on that particular field.

We did have a problem with an Army Helicopter which frightened the sheep which then panicked and clustered in a field corner. At the time I was near bye and could sort them out. However, our lambing % dropped from 225% to under 150% as a result of this. We put in a claim for the losses to the Min of Defense and were successful.

It's a conspiracy. Not a dog attack but very convenient to push the agenda. If they say black is white enough, people eventually believe it.

It's a conspiracy. Not a dog attack but very convenient to push the agenda. If they say black is white enough, people eventually believe it.

Exactly its very easy to blame a dog but there's no proof, jo public will believe what the papers say but i have had first hand experience with dogs attacking sheep and it gets pretty messy, like mentioned in other posts there is a strong possibility of rustling going on in this case who i think may have been disturbed before they could have got them loaded up, tyre tracks should prove or rule that theory out, however if no tyre tracks are present upto now it is a mystery to me unless like stated elsewhere the full story is not yet out.

It's all over the Southern News on the TV tonight .. still seem to be saying it's a dog attack ...I just don't buy it.

:iagree:

smacks of something even more distasteful - bunch of wasters having a laugh and chasing the sheep into a corner is my thoughts

Insurance job perhaps , not many might have been in lamb, :spy:

No way ... these sheep were the farmers breed stock and judging by him on the TV I think he is devastated at losing half a lifetimes work. There was a woman from the NFU on there giving the dogs tale a good airing and a clip of a dog worrying sheep to back it up .. then another lady farmer who balanced things out a little as she was talking about Chinook helicpoters from Odiham worrying her farm animals with low flying exercises.

My niece, who is a farm animal vet, reckons that all sheep really desire is to die as quickly as they possibly can and for the least explainable reason - doesn't take a lot to give them a heart attack apparently.

the particular farm the animals would be used to low flying aircraft both helicopters and planes as its on the flight path of Goodwood aerodrome which has a full range of aircraft including jets using it on a daily basis so I doubt it would have been aircraft.

their are no vehicle tracks that I could see in the field and I'm sure they would have commented on those if there were. Also to early in the year for UFOs as the wheat isn't long enough for crop circles yet lol.

No way ... these sheep were the farmers breed stock and judging by him on the TV I think he is devastated at losing half a lifetimes work. There was a woman from the NFU on there giving the dogs tale a good airing and a clip of a dog worrying sheep to back it up .. then another lady farmer who balanced things out a little as she was talking about Chinook helicpoters from Odiham worrying her farm animals with low flying exercises.

My niece, who is a farm animal vet, reckons that all sheep really desire is to die as quickly as they possibly can and for the least explainable reason - doesn't take a lot to give them a heart attack apparently.
I 1 million % agree with that they seem ok one minute then dead as a door nail the next, even when a farmers dog pegs one for inspection they just lay there ready to die, other prey species wriggle about till they expire, crap evolution on the sheep's term but they sure taste nice with mint sauce, but come to think of it there lay and die method could save the rest of the flock.. who knows they are surely weird animals either way.
We had a pet Weather lamb last year it was fly blown and was treated,it got foot rot and was treated back to health, it went back in the field fresh as a daisy ,a fortnight later it was laid there dead.

Last edited:
Back