Settling tank

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barbara99

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have a stainless steel settling tank with a plastic valve which has to be screwed into the tank. I think because it is a rigid plastic being screwed against a circular tank there is always a slight leak of honey. Thinking of investing in a tank advertised by Thornes and made by Konigin that has a welded on valve. Just wondering if anyone has experience of this tank and does it leak? Thank you

Try removing the existing valve and sealing the joint with Plumbers PTFE tape.

You should be able to tighten the valve against the tank wall, it does take some real effort.

Thanks for the suggestions. I have replaced the O ring but haven’t tried using 2 so will give that a try.

I’ve double them up on larger drums used to mix syrup, they haven’t leaked…..yet!

The usual problem is that the O ring does not seal properly and will not tighten another turn. The answer for this is to place flat washer between the tap and O ring to allow a tighter fit when the valve is positioned vertical, or get a thicker O ring.

Fitting 2 off O rings should not be necessary and not a good fix - even if it works - because they are more likely to fail when the valve is refitted after cleaning.

Of course, it would have been better to buy a tank where the valve is tightened by a nut inside the tank.

Many do not consider the quality or construction details when making purchases - the lower price is more important to them. That is not the way to acquire good equipment.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back