Seperate new beekeepers forum section ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should new beekeepers have a seperate section to chat and support each other ?

• Yes It's a good idea

Votes: 75 28.4%
  • No. Things are fine as they are

Votes: 169 64.0%
  • Not Bothered.

Votes: 20 7.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
It does high light the search function issue.

Like Frisbee I find it user unfriendly. I am not that unused to searching and know enough to use "" to narrow things down but it does seem a bit random on here.

I will say this though there are a lot of questions which are identical. I have lost track of how often the test frame issue has cropped up, which in turn makes me wonder about these courses that so many have been on as I certainly included that issue in my classes.

PH

Cyber Mentor

I personally like the idea of a nwbie section. I would go along with JOhn's idea of a 'cyber' mentor. Without the help of my mentor at the end of the phone a year ago, i think i would have stumbled at my first herdle. Go for it admin, start the new BK section and i will be there.
Colin

a lot of questions which are identical.

I agree there, PH.

As per your example, I would expect new beeks to know of the existence of a test frame but might ask questions about it.

But there again, even a ten week course has it's limitations; and one needs to have been on a course and/or read some serious literature to learn even these rudumentary basics, which are one of the first to crop up when an obviously recognised problem arises.

The very basic recommendation of 'two hives is better than one' does seem , by the previous example,to have been missed by a large fraction of new beeks.

That said, they are less likely to get maximum benefit by huddling in a separate corner of the forum, away from the real world of plain facts and without a clear pathway towards rectification of any problem.

Regards, RAB

I will say this though there are a lot of questions which are identical. I have lost track of how often the test frame issue has cropped up, which in turn makes me wonder about these courses that so many have been on as I certainly included that issue in my classes.

PH

Yes.....but the trouble is....without beating around the bush....some people are thick, some people don't want to read a book (why is a forum different?), some people think that going on a course is kids stuff and not for them. I had an example of that last year when the local landlord approached me as he fancied beekeeping, I told him to join the local ass. and go on the course....he threw his head up and said "Oh no....don't tell me to go on a course" Well I'm not helping anyone who is not prepared to help themselves. On the forum we don't know who people are or what they have learnt...read...refused to learn. Beekeeping as anyone who has stuck it for more than a year will agree is a very steep learning curve and it makes you pull your socks up pdq if you are to achieve anything with it....including keeping your bees..........The test frame, as we are using it as an example. Sure it will have been covered on the course. A year down the line though when suddenly the hive feels wrong......but they can't put their finger on it...well there's no brood....err....hmmm...where's the queen.........err....HELP....what do I do now? Learning something over a year ago and then having no practical follow up to it leaves anyone floundering in the dark. And ultimately it doesn't matter how good the search function is or how many sticky posts with instructions there are, a live answer is what a newbie needs.

Credit to you PH and the others for answering repeat questions ad infinitum.....but that is what a forum is about. And those questions will still get asked and answered, this year....next week.....tomorrow....next year.

Frisbee

I was part of the local ass. mentoring scheme this year.....because they have been so oversubscribed they ran 2 groups and each group went to classes every other week and to the mentors inbetween. After the theory.....6 weeks ish I showed one member of the group my hives, I was working my way through the box and talking as I went.....the question I was asked....."What's brood?"

:banghead: :banghead:

Frisbee

PH, I will look into it,sometimes you have to flush the database of keywords and rebuild the search function again.

I will do it later tonight when less users are on the forum.

It does high light the search function issue.

Like Frisbee I find it user unfriendly. I am not that unused to searching and know enough to use "" to narrow things down but it does seem a bit random on here.

PH

Yes.....but the trouble is....without beating around the bush....some people are thick, some people don't want to read a book (why is a forum different?), some people think that going on a course is kids stuff and not for them. I had an example of that last year when the local landlord approached me as he fancied beekeeping, I told him to join the local ass. and go on the course....he threw his head up and said "Oh no....don't tell me to go on a course" Well I'm not helping anyone who is not prepared to help themselves. On the forum we don't know who people are or what they have learnt...read...refused to learn. Beekeeping as anyone who has stuck it for more than a year will agree is a very steep learning curve and it makes you pull your socks up pdq if you are to achieve anything with it....including keeping your bees..........The test frame, as we are using it as an example. Sure it will have been covered on the course. A year down the line though when suddenly the hive feels wrong......but they can't put their finger on it...well there's no brood....err....hmmm...where's the queen.........err....HELP....what do I do now? Learning something over a year ago and then having no practical follow up to it leaves anyone floundering in the dark. And ultimately it doesn't matter how good the search function is or how many sticky posts with instructions there are, a live answer is what a newbie needs.

Credit to you PH and the others for answering repeat questions ad infinitum.....but that is what a forum is about. And those questions will still get asked and answered, this year....next week.....tomorrow....next year.

Frisbee

I am bobbins when it comes to searches. They always seem to throw irrelevant results at me :( I did learn the little tricks you can use, but with my memory loss ( my own blasted fault lol ) I can never recall them. I have probably asked the whole range of newbie questions. Impressed my mentor though heeheeee :p

PS I'd love a cyber mentor :) For the day our current mentor gets fed up with us.

Hi everyone, my tuppenny worth is that if you have a newbee area, who will go on the main forum and what would they talk about, the only thing that goes on is answering problem questions. I don't want to go onto the site and read about what others are upto while bee keeping, bee keeping holiday photos, latest fashion and what not to wear around the hive, I can do that on facebook. I've learnt alot from the questions and answers just by reading them and being more awhere of problems to come, so you get the same questions, so what, if you have answered them 20 times and are bored don't answer it the 21st time. But, if you have the time and experiance go ahead your thoughts and knowledge are more than welcome. If you have a newbee area the main forum will die and the newbee forum will be the only forum. er, bye then, regards to all. Steven

Hi
I'm a complete novice and this is my first post, I have no bees but have spent the last four months reading around the subject and hope to keep begin keeping bees next spring. I was pointed to this forum as the best on the forum in it's subject area. I have lots to learn and will eventually chip in with queries.
I'm a member of another forum on a subject unrelated to bee keeping set out on a board exactly the same as this. I would be classed as as an experienced person so I can see the argument from both sides. I like the way this forum is set out and would not see a seperate section as beneficial. I have been reading through many posts here and have had many questions answered.
As on the other forum the more experienced members get agitated that they have to answer the same question, finding the answer is never as simple as it appears and forum members have to remember they new nothing once. If people cant answer in a supportive way it's best not to answer, I have seen posts on here that if I wasn't so thick skinned may have put me off joining in with the forum which would have meant a possible loss to the forum and the "hobby".
On the whole though the forum feels quite a friendly one. Just my penneth for what it's worth.

Regards Doug

On the whole though the forum feels quite a friendly one. Just my penneth for what it's worth.

Soon beat that pleasent optomizism out of you :) (Only kidding)

Welcome to the forums Doug, fire away with any questions when you are ready, the season is slowing down and no doubt you will have a few questions your itching to ask. :)

Thanks Mike
Appreciate the welcome,when I finish reading all the posts I might dip my toe with a question. :sifone:

Regards Doug

Last edited:
Hello
I'm new too and just asked my first question - hopefully not too dumb but have had conflicting advice so thought I'd ask away.

The forum looks fine to me, not had a proper trawl through yet but I will and I'm sure I will learn loads.

I've done a 2 day course, am reading my third book and go to the local association "bee night" (work and other committments permitting) where we get practical experience handling the bees and learning what to look for. But still, a forum is great for those questions that suddenly pop into your head at odd times of the day or night.

Not read all of this thread, not had the time but, I noticed a few said they looked only at new posts anyway.
Unless you're on this forum all the time its very easy to miss posts by doing that. I tried it yesterday and new posts showed about about 15 threads, when I looked at the forum proper I found at least another 25 that I hadn't seen. That was just the main forum. Maybe thats why some posts dont get many replies, although of course not every post needs a lot of replies.

Just my thoughts.

Now i'll answer the question, i've asked lots of questions and gots loads of good stuff back, unsure ifthat would happen on a 'new beeks' forum.

Di

Well I never knew that!

There are things that you know you don't know and there are things that you don't know you don't know (if you know what I mean!).

A new beekeepers forum section would address the former. However, regular use/reading of the general forum covers both. I have picked a mass of knowledge while just reading the general forum threads.

If you divert the new beekeeper to thier own section, then yes they will get answers to their questions, but I think a chance to get lot of good peripheral knowledge will be missed.

Hence, I like the way things are at present.

There are things that you know you don't know and there are things that you don't know you don't know (if you know what I mean!).

A new beekeepers forum section would address the former. However, regular use/reading of the general forum covers both. I have picked a mass of knowledge while just reading the general forum threads.

If you divert the new beekeeper to thier own section, then yes they will get answers to their questions, but I think a chance to get lot of good peripheral knowledge will be missed.

Hence, I like the way things are at present.

I don't think the intention is to isolate newbies , rather it is to provide a platform for the more timorous to try their wings forgive the pun !.
obviously you would be encouraged to read and be pro-active on all other sections :hurray:

John Wilkinson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back