Seperate new beekeepers forum section ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should new beekeepers have a seperate section to chat and support each other ?

• Yes It's a good idea

Votes: 75 28.4%
  • No. Things are fine as they are

Votes: 169 64.0%
  • Not Bothered.

Votes: 20 7.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Its a real shame that this even went to a vote. If new beeks want a section where they can ask questions that have been asked before why not?

Experienced beeks can then join in or choose not to. Whats the big deal?

It makes me think that some experienced beeks enjoy moaning about being asked the same thing again, or just running new beeks down. I donated to this forum a few moths back but since having the pi** taken because I asked a question, I've not even bothered looking on here until today. A new bee keepers section could have helped to stop new bee keepers feeling like this.

It's a shame this thread is going around in circles and not getting anywhere.

Pete

Things can always be improved.

I will do a sticky on how to get the best reults using a search.

I think that would be very useful- I've never had much luck with it.

This may be heresy, or mere ignorance- but some sites have internal searches powered by google. Is that an option?

Its a real shame that this even went to a vote. If new beeks want a section where they can ask questions that have been asked before why not?

Because we (new beeks) dont want it, see the poll results, these aren't just experienced beeks voting against it. No good arguing it wont do any harm as many of us believe it will - different threads carrying the same questions cannot possibly be helpful.

Agree its a shame this thread is going round in circles, should it be closed?

I think it's much more likely that the search function on this forum is very tricky and doesn't bring up the relevant data most of the time (I've certainly found this and it seems others have too).

On problem in searching that I have come across is that everything gets posted in the main forum, and not moved to the relevant sub forum. Surely all of the 'veroa mite' type posts etc should be in "Honeybee Health Topics", all the 'ply vs cedar' posts in "DIY Hive construction and plans and tools", all of the 'Bayer are satan's spawn' posts in "pesticides,enviromental and political issues" etc. Instead they all end up clumped together in "Beekeeping Forum" meaning that you have to do a global seach to find everything, rather than just the relevant forum.

A bit of sorting and moving of poorly placed threads would be a big time overhead for admin, but would pay dividends to users trying to find information.

Last edited:
So Mr Breezy, Help Admin out and describe, comprehensively, how the search facilites at these other forums is an improvement over the current model.

How am I supposed to describe how the technology differs? I don't know - I'm not an IT expert. I'm only saying the search functions aren't so accurate on this forum. And Admin has kindly offered to post a sticky helping those of us that need it, so that's great.

And FYI it's Ms Beezy if you must know.

I don't, but nice to know, however irrelevant. I now wonder if I would have spoken differently had I known previously. Probably not.

We each need to help others to be able to help us/ourselves better. :party:

Last edited:
I don't, but nice to know, however irrelevant. I now wonder if I would have spoken differently had I known previously. Probably not.

We each need to help others to be able to help us/ourselves better. :party:

No, I wouldn't expect it to, but you assumed I was a man so I corrected you. Tbh I think your tone is pretty rude anyway though.

You are right of course Breezy, but then I should have guessed . . .

I have been asked by a new beekeeper if we could consider running a "New beekeeper" section on the forum seperate from the main beekeeping section.

As the forum is run by its members the choice comes down to what everyone thinks ?

With all this talk about seperate sections for this and that...what about a separate section for experianced beekeepers.

:sifone:lets go the whole hog....can we have a yorkshire keepeers section?

Last edited:
A separate section for FAQs

I don't think a section for new beeks is a good idea but one with the threads of FAQs would be good. I often search the site and sometimes find what I am looking for but if all threads on the same subject were put together this would be useful
Louise:party:

I don't think a section for new beeks is a good idea but one with the threads of FAQs would be good. I often search the site and sometimes find what I am looking for but if all threads on the same subject were put together this would be useful
Louise:party:

FAQ's like sticky's! :D

Lets me out :D:D:D

John Wilkinson

I don't think so John,i believe you would be one of our much more experianced, senior members,so you could not get out of it that easily.
The section would be for new beekeers to read only,but not be able post in.
Most likely easier just to leave things as they are though.

Last edited:
The section would be for new beekeers to read only,but not be able post in.
Most likely easier just to leave things as they are though.
Wise words Pete :laughing-smiley-004
Change for its' own sake applies perhaps ;)

John Wilkinson

. . . The section would be for new beekeepers to read only, but not be able post in . . .

Hmmmm . . . wishing to be totally pedantic of course; that would be a bit counter productive,
as new beekeepers would by definition not be able to ask questions :)

Perhaps new beekeepers could be permitted to make an initial post only, but that would mean that they would need to be very clear about what they were asking and express themselves clearly. So it might be a bit of a challenge at times.

Also how would you qualify new or experienced beekeepers on the forum, when gentlemen with 50+ colonies and many years of experience join the forum with obviously tonnes/tons of experience but few posts and others join with no colonies and have hundreds of posts/experience under their belt in the "First word in your head"/"Three word story" sections?

To suggest that Admin were to allocate expert or new beekeeper status flags to the appropriate select few would be a recipe for a bun fight too and not one that I would choose to recommend - except as a bit of sport perhaps . . . :)

So, I agree too, best left as it is. :iagree:

On the question of spell checking, I recommend doing it off-line in a word processor before submitting a post. It doesn't take a moment and doesn't burden other members or forum performance.

Late as usual.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back