Securing a hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hachi

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
Damn! A lot more than I ever thought I'd have
My largest hive stands over six and half foot including the stand and is sited in a windy location even on a good day and so I was wondering what you can all recommend I secure mine with so as to avoid it toppling over in bad weather.

Photo's would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks H

There is a story to that I've inherited the hive as is and they're still filling the supers, probably 70% done and uncapped so its not that I hadn't thought of that.

The standard hive straps don't even come close.

first off you are going to need a propper ratchet strap to go around the whole lot, secondly you also need to add a post to help it stand up as even straped together it will still topple over, even though the hive is six foot tall the post would only need to about four or five foot out of the ground

Lorry straps/ tie-downs - bog-standard ones are 7 metres long. Or use 2 x hive straps end-to-end.

LJ

I use these all the time, strong as an Ox and free to me :)

Alright for some BT. Anyone know where I can get one cheapish?

Pete, good idea will speak with the farmer

Try halfords, standard ratchet straps will be quite strong enough.

Try halfords, standard ratchet straps will be quite strong enough.

Lidl and Aldi have them from time to time, you'd have to check locally.
Length? Its easy to link two or more together!

I'd suggest a post on each side ...

Hmm yes, got some cheap ones from proper job once. Total rubbish, you get what you pay for.

Anyone know where I can get one cheapish
Toolstation have a range of ratchet straps, starting at 3 pounds something for a 4.5m 250 kg version. If you don't want to stake the stand, some start with a BS paving slab to give a solid base and wrap the strap underneath.

Hmm yes, got some cheap ones from proper job once. Total rubbish, you get what you pay for.

Umm, that might be a bit too general a slur.
Or "total rubbish" as advice.

Lidl''s ratchet straps are absolutely fine for hives, roofracks and other such uses. 250kg rating. At least as good as those sold by major beekeeping suppliers - at much higher prices.
One does not always "get what you pay for".

Get yourself some ground anchors / screws. Screw them into the ground and fit a strap through them and the hive.

Alternatively on permanent sites burry the legs of the stand 10” into the ground.

I got this photo from ebay

Toolstation have a range of ratchet straps, starting at 3 pounds something for a 4.5m 250 kg version. If you don't want to stake the stand, some start with a BS paving slab to give a solid base and wrap the strap underneath.

I have put the plastic strapping (such as used by Thornes) under slabs and loops tied each end. As strong as anything else and don't rot. Ratchet straps connect to the loops. When not using straps during summer, simply unhook and leave band in place ready for next time.

Guys ... Ground anchors or tent pegs at a distance from hive... You must have put up a tent :) the boxes with a ratchet strap round them are the pole , all you need then are the guys. At least 3 Ropes tensioned off in different directions .

Last edited:
Alright for some BT. Anyone know where I can get one cheapish?

Met a trader at the Royal Welsh winter fair sells all kinds and sizes of ratchet straps at a reasonable price - for the kind of straps that the usual traders sell to beeks, £1.99 each for 1.5 m £2.39 for 4.5 m and £3.12 for 10m - he has a website - it's called the ratchet shop

Pound shop, ratchet straps yes, a pound.

Latest posts

Back