Secret of EFB in Britain

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wrong - new policy with FERA for EFB now is destruction in all cases.

I dont think its a hard and fast rule but it certainly makes sense in areas where efb does not normally occur and its only the occasional incoming colony that suffers. Destruction may seem draconian but it is probably cost effective in the long term for areas where it is not endemic.

Policy change as from this year - It looks like a knee jerk reaction to a particularly aggressive form of EFB that's been found in Switzerland (when have you heard of anything labelled 'agressive' coming from cuckoo clock land!!) - last I can find at the moment is a report from WBKA meeting at the beginning of the summer when the intention was to make it 'destroy in all cases', this was confirmed in a disease recognition workshop I went to

Bacteria in the gut of Japanese honeybee, Apis cerana japonica, and their antagonistic effect against Paenibacillus larvae, the causal agent of American foulbrood.

Yoshiyama M, Kimura K. 2009

Source

Honeybee Research Group, Animal Breeding and Reproduction Research Team, National Institute of Livestock and Grassland Science, 2 Ikenodai, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305-0901, Japan. [email protected]

Abstract

We assessed the complexity of bacterial communities occurring in the digestive tract of the Japanese honeybee, Apis cerana japonica, using histological and 16S rRNA gene sequence analyzes. Both Gram-positive and -negative bacteria were observed, and the number of gut bacteria was higher in old larvae compared with young larvae. A total of 35 clones were obtained by a culture-dependent method, and 16S rRNA gene sequence analysis revealed that the bacterial population in the gut of Japanese honeybee was diverse, including the phyla firmicutes, actinobacteria, and alpha-, beta-, and gammaproteobacteria. Further investigation by in vitro inhibition assays was carried out to determine the ability of an isolate to inhibit Paenibacillus larvae, the causal agent of American foulbrood. Out of 35 isolates, seven showed strong inhibitory activity against P. larvae. Most of the antagonistic bacteria belonged to Bacillus species, suggesting that the bacterial isolates obtained in this study appear to be potential candidates for the biological control of P. larvae.

So might it be possible to inoculate colonies- basically, give them pro-biotics?

They have not put this new policy on their website yet.

Can't do more than repeat what I was told by the RBI, maybe they don't want to advertise the fact - if people know their bees are going to be torched, maybe they will be reluctant to contact the bee inspector if they think something is wrong with the colony? My view is it's a pretty short sighted policy if they've impemented it.

My view is it's a pretty short sighted policy if they've impemented it.

I agree.

Not long ago there was talk of EFB being taken off the notifiable disease list altogether, insufficient funds i believe, now talk of going to the other extreme...still insufficient funds perhaps, so easier to destroy.

I had a social visit for an hour or two by our new RBI, a couple of weeks ago, he never mentioned anything about automatic destruction of all colonies found to have EFB.

Our legistaion goes that way, that if vet officer knows that there are AFB spores in hives, her (his) duty is to deny to move hives from pasture to pasture.

If you have 500 hives and in some hives you have AFB spores, all 500 hives will stay on their sites.

In this scale it is catastrophy, if you cannot move hives from rape field to another. It is end of business.

Only way to keep you business alive is to be silent.

In practice system is not that harsh. But still, be quiet! Others, but not me!

Last edited:
Can't see things changing. Mandatory destruction would require a change in legislation, not just a change in policy. They might change recommendations but the beekeeper can still choose.

... and attitudes of beekeepers....and mysteries... can you even talk about things

If you tell to another guys, that your hives swarms, what a looser you are then!!!

To many swarming is like a disease, but at least sign of a beekeeper without skills. Ha ha ha.

So, it is better to silent and not to tell anybody that your hives swarm.

Some lock their queens between 2 excluder and then they say that hives never swarm.

I do not keep beekeepers as the most honest people on earth. Too much magic and mystery in their doings. Guys get honey even from plants which do not excrete nectar.

Can't see things changing. Mandatory destruction would require a change in legislation, not just a change in policy.

Sorry Chris but no - change of polidy is all that is needed:

1 Control of pests and diseases affecting bees.E+W+S.(1)The Minister of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food, the Secretary of State for Scotland and the Secretary of State for Wales, acting jointly, may by order make such provision as they think fit for the purpose of preventing the introduction into or spreading within Great Britain of pests or diseases affecting bees.
2)Without prejudice to the generality of subsection (1) above, for the purpose there mentioned an order under this section— .
(a)may prohibit or regulate the importation into or movement within Great Britain of bees and combs, bee products, hives, containers and other appliances used in connection with keeping or transporting bees, and of any other thing which has or may have been exposed to infection with any pest or disease to which the order applies; .
(b)may make provision with respect to any of the matters specified in the Schedule to this Act; and .
(c)may make different provision for different cases or different areas.

They already have the right to destroy:
(4)Where any bees or other things subject to control under any such order are found to be infected, or to have been exposed to infection, with any pest or disease to which the order applies, any authorised person may destroy them by such means as he thinks fit, or cause them to be so destroyed.
Diseases may be added or taken out without amending the act in parliament

Hives aren't burned for EFB, that's for AFB.

Wrong - new policy with FERA for EFB now is destruction in all cases.
I was indeed wrong, I honestly thought EFB cases were never destroyed. Thanks for putting me right.

There is something on the Fera page. Do they still use antibiotics? If not, then the information is out of date:https://secure.fera.defra.gov.uk/beebase/index.cfm?pageid=82
Where foulbrood is suspected, the inspector will take a sample for laboratory diagnosis and issue a Standstill Notice prohibiting the removal of bees and equipment from the apiary. If foulbrood is confirmed, the inspector will carry out the necessary disease control measures. These can include destruction of infected colonies (EFB or AFB), antibiotic treatment (EFB only) or shookswarm (EFB) and further inspections of colonies that have been associated with the diseased colonies. After 6-8 weeks if no further disease signs have appeared, the Standstill is withdrawn. Normally the bee inspector will visit again during the following season to be sure that the disease has been completely controlled.

Where is that from? It's not the Control Order 2006.....

(2) Where the presence of a notifiable pest has been confirmed in a hive or on or in the same premises or vehicle as a hive, an authorised person—

(a) shall serve on the owner or person in charge of the hive a notice requiring the destruction or treatment in accordance with the notice of the hive, any bees, combs, bee products, bee pests or debris from the hive, and any appliances or other things by which the notifiable pest is liable to be spread.

That's section 8 EFB by the way

Okay I'm caught up with you. Bees Act 1980 empowers the Minister to issue Control Orders. Latest Control Order specifies a choice of action. So the Minister would need to issue another Control Order to change the status quo. Not a change in legislation via Parliament. On the other hand the Bee Unit are not empowered to set their own policy that goes contrary to Control Orders.

Last edited:
I was indeed wrong, I honestly thought EFB cases were never destroyed. Thanks for putting me right.]

But university expert says at the beginning: University of Sussex :
Colonies in which EFB is confirmed will either be destroyed and burnt, if infection is severe

What does it really mean, If we say in Finland "hives are burned", it means to beekeepers that wooden hive parts are sterilized with flame.

When combs have rotten larva, you may out them into fire or cut wax off.

Polyhives are washed with lye solution or with something.

There is a chap in my area that has had EFB in his apiary for the last 4/5 years the SBI is now going to burn infected hives, as they have tried the shook swarm route and it's not working.

Craig

Nope, from the original act - control orders are just amendments or interpretations of that but even the 2006 order states

the destruction or treatment in accordance with the notice of any bees, combs or bee products from the hive.

and further

and may specify that the destruction or treatment is to be carried out by an authorised person, in the presence of an authorised person or under the supervision of an authorised person.

Its FERA that serves the order to destroy or treat - therefore all they have to do is change their policy do destroy in all cases.
Crossing posts here Chris! - yes a lot of the nitty gritty is down to semantics. My interpretation is they wouldn't need to amend the order as it already gives the option to destroy.

Last edited:
What does it really mean, If we say in Finland "hives are burned", it means to beekeepers that wooden hive parts are sterilized with flame.

Usually, frames, bees and comb burned and the hives 'scorched' with a blowlamp

I would of thought they would of changed the wording on their website, if this was their policy this year.

I would of thought they would of changed the wording on their website, if this was their policy this year.

As I said maybe they don't want people not reporting suspect colonies as there is now a 'scorched earth' policy in place.
I'll try and get the definitive from either the SBI or our RBI

My interpretation is they wouldn't need to amend the order as it already gives the option to destroy.

It does depend on interpretation, especially whether that option lies with the beekeeper or FERA. It isn't specified so I can see the ambiguity.

Latest posts

Back