Sdm

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pete D

Drone Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
50+. Double Std National & 14x12
Off here today, leaving in a minute, no doubt see a couple of you there so come and say hello.
I think it will be a long day. :rules:

Oh, just read that back, special delegates meeting at BBKA, SDM

Is it just about Ken B's dispute? or about BBKA's charitable status? A tweet from Sheffield Honey (Jez D??) suggested the latter.

The SDM was called to discuss the KB dispute. UNder the rules that is all that can be discussed.

The Executive Committee's handling (or mis-handling) of the dispute, in allowing it to reach this state, and most particularly their rejection of the arbitration offer from three past Presidents, is inevitably called into question.
And where that might lead is anyone's guess, though it would not be part of the formal SDM business.

/// Anyway, we should be hearing something soon.

and most particularly their rejection of the arbitration offer from three past Presidents,

My undertsanding is that KB rejected the arbitration offer.

No idea on that one, but was informed by our current Delegate that what most bothered him was that things had been allowed to come to this, specifically including the EC's refusal to consider the offer of both mediation and independent investigation and establishment of the facts of the matter.
I've had no specific involvement with the SDM, but I fully expect the fallout to figure strongly at the ADM, and make that experience all the more 'complicated' for a first-time delegate …

Pete D, recovered enough for an up-date if you have time?

Phew......
Off out in a minute to make up to the missus for not only missing the Christmas shopping trip yesterday but also the Christmas meal out with friends due to getting back so late and being knackered.
10.30-17.30 and basically sorted nothing.
Will try and give an edited version of what happened later unless someone beats me too it. I say edited as this forum gets read by a lot of non BBKA members

FAO ITMA

tried to send you a message but your mailbox is full.

Nope, KB wholeheartedly accepted the proposed arbitration. What was not concluded by those in the room is whether the BBKA should pay for that arbitration. It suited the chairman of the meeting to state that KB had rejected arbitration, even before asking the other parties if they were willing to pay their own costs, or expected the BBKA to cover them. The view of all parties involved was that the dispute had arisen between trustees, as trustees, and had snowballed because of the way the BBKA had chosen to deal with it. Thus it would be inappropriate for any of the parties to pay for arbitration.

Furthermore, the SDM was not allowed to discuss and vote on the matter that it was called for, it was only allowed to vote on the Exec's proposed suspension of KB. The majority voted against that suspension.

I understand that the county associations are discussing how to take this forward. I am loathe to add too much more detail because I would like to see this properly resolved by the member associations. However, the stench of cover-up hung heavy over Saturday's meeting.

KB is my father and I am also involved. I believe that an appropriate summary might be "lies, corruption, and cover-up".

Back in March, KB had reason to accuse another trustee of lying to fellow trustees. I also complained at the same time about the same person/allegations as a member of the BBKA and as somebody commissioned to undertake work for the BBKA. My invoices for work undertaken for the BBKA have been outstanding since 10th January due to this dispute.

The response of the BBKA Exec was to pursue KB for making such allegations by forming an investigative panel. That panel ruled out in writing any investigation of the alleged lying, concentrating solely on whether KB was correct in how he communicated the allegations. KB was told not to provide evidence of the alleged lying since it would not be considered. KB wrote to the BBKA chairman, Doug Brown, six times between May and September stating that the matter that they should be investigating was the alleged dishonesty, and he would not meet with the investigative panel until they did so. Six times the chairman replied but ignored the request for investigation. I wrote a total of four times, giving more detail of the allegations I had made, but this too was ignored.

In July that investigation panel reported back to the Exec, which voted to accept the panel's report's findings. Notable features of this include:

• Written complaints from myself, KB, and a second Trustee about the Trustee accused of lying had apparently not been considered by the investigation;
  • A 45 minute meeting between KB and the chairman Doug Brown on this matter was apparently not considered;
  • The investigation panel had apparently only taken/accepted evidence from the person accused of dishonesty, whom they then found not guilty of the charges;
  • The panel had considered three further 'secret' allegations against KB; he had not been informed of these allegations and therefore had provided no defence or rebuttal;
  • The panel claimed it had indeed investigated the lying (total about-face) and found the accused not guilty;
  • Since KB had provided no evidence (as per earlier instructions) to substantiate his allegations of lying, KB was to be sanctioned for making those allegations.

The outcome was that KB and the accused Trustee should attend mediation to resolve the 'dispute'. KB declined since this was not a "play nicely together" matter but one that he believed required a factual investigation for resolution.

The Exec therefore suspended KB for not agreeing to mediation. To have him formally removed as a Trustee required a vote at the next Delegates meeting.

In the meantime, KB had decided after six months of frustration and various attempts to undermine him by the Exec that he should approach the Member Associations (the Counties). Thus in September he appealed for the support of the Associations in calling for a Special Delegate Meeting (SDM) to resolve the allegations. (This is the equivalent of an Extraordinary General Meeting, and reportedly the first in the BBKA's history.)

The BBKA constitution requires a call by 10% of Associations to force an SDM regardless of the wishes of the Exec; in total 18 of the 67 Associations supported this, each citing that the matter to be discussed was "an investigation into the allegations of dishonesty".

KB has been accused of bringing the BBKA into disrepute by appealing for the support of the Associations.

The Exec were not happy at having their hand forced in this fashion. They called the SDM as obliged by the constitution, but instead of including the "investigation..." as requested by the Associations, they substituted for this their own proposal to have KB's suspension approved by the Delegates.

Uproar ensued. The Exec were ignoring the call from the Associations and literally forcing their own agenda onto the meeting. The Exec further hobbled the SDM by trying to impose a restricted Agenda and a restricted subset of the Standing Orders (meeting procedures) that prevented deviation from the matter the Exec wished to see discussed.

The Exec apparently dismissed an approach from a number of Past Presidents of the BBKA to investigate and report on the underlying matter of the allegations of dishonesty. A similar proposition from a number of Associations was also apparently excluded from the SDM agenda.

At the SDM on Saturday 13th, whilst both the "investigation..." and the suspension appeared on the revised agenda, Delegates were told from the outset by the chairman that they would not be allowed a vote on the "investigation..." - the business the meeting was called for - but solely on the suspension.

Presentations were made by the Exec, then KB, then the trustee accused of dishonesty. Much questioning by the Delegates followed.

The Delegates voted against the suspension by a significant margin. KB was thus reinstated as a Trustee.

The Exec apparently believe that this was not a vote of no confidence against them.

The allegations of dishonesty have still not been investigated.

Other serious apparent mis-mangement which came to light as KB prepared his defence was not permitted to be discussed at all in the SDM.

The outstanding invoices and other incurred costs (e.g. legal advice) have not been addressed.

There are serious concerns amongst delegates at the sheer number of Governance failings that this matter has highlighted. All agreed that it should never have been allowed to come to this; that it should have been sorted out at the time the allegations first arose.

A delegate meeting costs circa £7,000 (according to the BBKA accounts for the Annual Delegate Meeting). This was a full day meeting of 10:30 - 17:30 for all involved.

The Exec have allegedly instructed the beekeeping press not to report on the SDM.

Nothing has been resolved.

Large amounts of documents and statements were circulated prior to Saturday's meetings. Your county association Chairman, Secretary, and Delegate should have copies of these and should be able to fill you in on more detail.

Last edited:
KB is my father and I am also involved. I believe that an appropriate summary might be "lies, corruption, and cover-up".

Back in March, KB had reason to accuse another trustee of lying to fellow trustees. I also complained at the same time about the same person/allegations as a member of the BBKA and as somebody commissioned to undertake work for the BBKA. My invoices for work undertaken for the BBKA have been outstanding since 10th January due to this dispute.

The response of the BBKA Exec was to pursue KB for making such allegations by forming an investigative panel. That panel ruled out in writing any investigation of the alleged lying, concentrating solely on whether KB was correct in how he communicated the allegations. KB was told not to provide evidence of the alleged lying since it would not be considered. KB wrote to the BBKA chairman, Doug Brown, six times between May and September stating that the matter that they should be investigating was the alleged dishonesty, and he would not meet with the investigative panel until they did so. Six times the chairman replied but ignored the request for investigation. I wrote a total of four times, giving more detail of the allegations I had made, but this too was ignored.

In July that investigation panel reported back to the Exec, which voted to accept the panel's report's findings. Notable features of this include:

• Written complaints from myself, KB, and a second Trustee about the Trustee accused of lying had apparently not been considered by the investigation;
  • A 45 minute meeting between KB and the chairman Doug Brown on this matter was apparently not considered;
  • The investigation panel had apparently only taken/accepted evidence from the person accused of dishonesty, whom they then found not guilty of the charges;
  • The panel had considered three further 'secret' allegations against KB; he had not been informed of these allegations and therefore had provided no defence or rebuttal;
  • The panel claimed it had indeed investigated the lying (total about-face) and found the accused not guilty;
  • Since KB had provided no evidence (as per earlier instructions) to substantiate his allegations of lying, KB was to be sanctioned for making those allegations.

The outcome was that KB and the accused Trustee should attend mediation to resolve the 'dispute'. KB declined since this was not a "play nicely together" matter but one that he believed required a factual investigation for resolution.

The Exec therefore suspended KB for not agreeing to mediation. To have him formally removed as a Trustee required a vote at the next Delegates meeting.

In the meantime, KB had decided after six months of frustration and various attempts to undermine him by the Exec that he should approach the Member Associations (the Counties). Thus in September he appealed for the support of the Associations in calling for a Special Delegate Meeting (SDM) to resolve the allegations. (This is the equivalent of an Extraordinary General Meeting, and reportedly the first in the BBKA's history.)

The BBKA constitution requires a call by 10% of Associations to force an SDM regardless of the wishes of the Exec; in total 18 of the 67 Associations supported this, each citing that the matter to be discussed was "an investigation into the allegations of dishonesty".

KB has been accused of bringing the BBKA into disrepute by appealing for the support of the Associations.

The Exec were not happy at having their hand forced in this fashion. They called the SDM as obliged by the constitution, but instead of including the "investigation..." as requested by the Associations, they substituted for this their own proposal to have KB's suspension approved by the Delegates.

Uproar ensued. The Exec were ignoring the call from the Associations and literally forcing their own agenda onto the meeting. The Exec further hobbled the SDM by trying to impose a restricted Agenda and a restricted subset of the Standing Orders (meeting procedures) that prevented deviation from the matter the Exec wished to see discussed.

The Exec apparently dismissed an approach from a number of Past Presidents of the BBKA to investigate and report on the underlying matter of the allegations of dishonesty. A similar proposition from a number of Associations was also apparently excluded from the SDM agenda.

At the SDM on Saturday 13th, whilst both the "investigation..." and the suspension appeared on the revised agenda, Delegates were told from the outset by the chairman that they would not be allowed a vote on the "investigation..." - the business the meeting was called for - but solely on the suspension.

Presentations were made by the Exec, then KB, then the trustee accused of dishonesty. Much questioning by the Delegates followed.

The Delegates voted against the suspension by a significant margin. KB was thus reinstated as a Trustee.

The Exec apparently believe that this was not a vote of no confidence against them.

The allegations of dishonesty have still not been investigated.

Other serious apparent mis-mangement which came to light as KB prepared his defence was not permitted to be discussed at all in the SDM.

The outstanding invoices and other incurred costs (e.g. legal advice) have not been addressed.

There are serious concerns amongst delegates at the sheer number of Governance failings that this matter has highlighted. All agreed that it should never have been allowed to come to this; that it should have been sorted out at the time the allegations first arose.

A delegate meeting costs circa £7,000 (according to the BBKA accounts for the Annual Delegate Meeting). This was a full day meeting of 10:30 - 17:30 for all involved.

The Exec have allegedly instructed the beekeeping press not to report on the SDM.

Nothing has been resolved.

Large amounts of documents and statements were circulated prior to Saturday's meetings. Your county association Chairman, Secretary, and Delegate should have copies of these and should be able to fill you in on more detail.

Thanks for taking the time to give such a thorough account. Sound like a complete nightmare.
Don't suppose you can outline what the original allegations allude to?

Thanks for taking the time to give such a thorough account. Sound like a complete nightmare.
Don't suppose you can outline what the original allegations allude to?

No I don't think this is the place for that, lots of non members and other public visit this forum. If you are a member your association will have all the info, about 130 pages of it.
The BBKA are working on a statement to issue and the minutes from the day will be out in due course.
This may end up in the law courts and discussion on here about the what and who isn't reallly appropriate, as I said members can get all the detail from their association.

Pete - there is enough speculation here and on the BBKA Facebook page that people know something happened. It appears the communication in counties was very variable - from some saying nothing to members, to others forwarding all the documents around.

I held off posting anything until names started to be mentioned, and what I have written concentrates on the appalling way the BBKA have handled the dispute. It also didn't help that I heard yesterday that the Chairman of the BBKA had briefed the Trustees that it was reassuring that the SDM had not been a vote of no confidence and that he wished to continue in place as Chairman next year, or words to that effect.

At the SDM it was clear that the Delegates did not want to precipitate mass resignation, further compounding problems. The appalling mis-management of this dispute must be examined and resolved and I understand that some Delegates are taking this forwards. However, with no apparent admission from the Exec that they handled the matter badly, I fear that the ADM in January will be managed to avoid discussion of these issues, just as the SDM was, and then it'll be another 12 months before the Exec are held accountable.

Personally, I would not trust any statement that comes out of the BBKA on this matter. I have seen too much intentional suppression and cover-up over the past nine months.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back