Scotland new medical honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wightbees

Queen Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
How long is a piece of string
Not sure if this has been posted? I can't Search... Anything come of it?
Scottish honey may be as effective as more expensive manuka when it comes to beating bacteria, a study has shown.

Experts claim heather honey could offer a cheaper alternative to manuka, from New Zealand, which is already known for its medicinal qualities.

Honey’s anti-bacterial properties are widely used in veterinary medicine as a wound dressing.

The findings come from a study published in The Veterinary Journal and carried out by Dr Patrick Pollock and colleagues at the School of Veterinary Medicine at the University of Glasgow.

Of 11 different honeys tested, heather honey from the Inverness area was particularly effective, killing MRSA microbes and three other types of bacteria.

Dr Pollock, a bee keeper, said: ‘While manuka is currently the only medical grade honey, the study reveals other honeys may be just as suitable.

‘Consequently, it may prove unnecessary to transport manuka honey from New Zealand when more local sources may be as, or even more, effective.’

Honeys largely get their anti-microbial properties from the hydrogen peroxide they contain. Manuka is thought to benefit from a phytochemical property and a methylglyoxal compound.

Heather honey costs an average of £1.90 for 100g while 100g of manuka is £4.71.

Scottish honey may be as effective as more expensive manuka when it comes to beating bacteria, a study has shown.

We had a presentation from an Irish chap at our agm in February. He told us of some work they had commissioned on their own osr honey and it seemed that, this too was just as good.
Beds BKA have a scheme in process to have representative samples of our honey tested too (via this Irish guy who I can't remember the name of - sorry!). I'm not saying there is anything in it. Just that ordinary honey seems to be just as good as "manuka" honey.

Interesting.....any links to the actual paper?
I'd be interested to know if they destroyed the peroxidase activity before testing, as that is what they do with Manuka. All honeys have antibiotic activity when diluted, but Manuka has an "extra" antibiotic activity which is present after the common peroxidase one is destroyed.
Manuka works well when topically applied to wounds and burns but has little effect on things like bacterial stomach ulcers when eaten!!

ADDENDUM...Found it http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1090023313003262 But no access to whole paper. From abstract it sounds as though they just diluted and tested without destroying the peroxidase antibiotic activity.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back