Scenting syrup/feeder

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JustAddBees

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
TBH
Number of Hives
Hi All,

I understand syrup has no scent, and bees therefore may not find it. I did dribble a trail of syrup recently which successfully lead them to the feeder but they seem to have forgotten where to find it again. I'm reluctant to make a trail each time I feed as I have to open the hive to do it. Could I drop lemongrass oil near the feeder to encourage them to investigate, or would this upset/disrupt them?

Thanks, Sam

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

I always add a drop or two of lemongrass oil to the syrup.

Seems to work.

Thanks Davelin, will give it a go

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

If syrup has no scent how come i had about 30 bee's in my car several week's ago that where attracted to a crown board that was in the boot with dried up syrup on it..? .

I have a couple of buckets which had syrup in and there have been several bees and wasps around the lid I ain't so sure that syrup has no smell, maybe to us it has but not bees or wasps.

I have a couple of buckets which had syrup in and there have been several bees and wasps around the lid I ain't so sure that syrup has no smell, maybe to us it has but not bees or wasps.
I can smell a Indian Restaurant from around 100yrd's away and i believe bee's and wasp's can do the same with syrup if there's a steady breeze in the air.. i have a spare bedroom in the cottage where i store my bee suit/trouser's and gloves.. on the same day i filled the contact feeder's i must have got some on my protective trouser's and gloves and some how the bee's found there way into that spare bedroom.. i have no idea how they got in there but they did and the only reason could have been the smell of syrup..

syrup feeding again

New to bee keeping this year.
I have 3 hives, 1 and 2 were nucs bought in April with Buckfast queens and hive 3 has a swarm which was caught and housed at the beginning of July.
We removed the suppers of honey the 2nd week of September from hives 1 and 2.
We then extracted all the honey from the frames and replaced the empty ones back on the hives they came from and the bees have cleaned them out in 2 days.
Hive 3 has not had any suppers added.
Added syrup to all 3 hives the 3rd week of September and found hive 3 has taken 9 litres so far but hive 1 and 2 have not taken any.
Weather has been good here about 18 and 19c for 10 days up to Sunday so wondered if this had anything to do with it as they are much larger amount of bees in hives 1 and 2. and if I still need to try to keep feeding them as checked one frame on each hive on Sunday and they feel quite heavy with stores but not sealed yet. :sos:

If syrup has no scent how come i had about 30 bee's in my car several week's ago that where attracted to a crown board that was in the boot with dried up syrup on it..? .

Probably the first discovery was following the scent of bees or traces of wax or propolis. Then the discoverer went home and told her mates :)

Latest posts

Back