save the bees in the uk

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Apology accepted, and yes, lets send a thank you to all good bee inspectors - and admonish any poor. Only way to raise standards.

Oh, and do posters here know about spellchecker ? :ack2:

Now back to business of the bee health and well-being :cheers2:

Can we restock the uk bee population with bees from australia?

No not a chance! I can not take that as a serious question ben.

However i belive that there is nothing wrong with the British bee. I would encourage people to breed more from there own stocks or try to buy from British producers/supliers rather than importing queens and packages from here, there and everywhere. Doing this may help to prevent hive beetle reaching our lovely bees :D

Barbs has 600 hives. WOW! He has a huge job to renew them. Is it easier to change the beekeeper?

why change the beekeeper?

I thought te Bible: If mountain does not come to Moses, Moses goes to mountain.

Last edited:
hi all,
after reading ALL repies to this thread, this is my view.

It is man that brought these problems to the bee, we must sort it out not the bee. in terms of restocking all of the bee's in the UK, i think it can be done but is pointless as the efforts,time and money will be wasted as feral bee's will still have varrioa and other pests which over time will put the countries bee's back to where we are now. I dont see a problem with the british bee, the problem lays with the british people, importing bees and unwilling importing bee pests and diseases.You may feel different, all i ask is think of the rabbit problem in OZ and the parakets that are flying around the southeast which are now beig shot because of man inporting them and then releasing them in the wild.

As to the disareement that lead to admin stepping in ( this may offend) , all i can say is , i dont like some beek on this forum because of their veiws and way of doing thngs, so i dont read their posts and ignore them.

peace please all
TB

I see that bens bees has removed the starting question so i will try to put it back in,
ben asked if it was posible to completely restock the english country side with new bees?
this question when you look at bens location and profession is understandable, as a whole when anyone lloks into bee keeping as a over view there is a very large amount of doom and gloom and lots of people telling the press that english bee keeping is on its knees and the final death toll happens next week on thursday, also his question is tempered with the fact that being austrailian he is so lucky to be protected by some of the best? and strickest quarantine laws ever. so as such for most companies down south the export market is very important to them, to the usa and europe go most queens, so i suppose to ben bees it seemed ike a sensible question.

as for the hedgerow rantings we will leave that to die out quietly

When English bee stock die totally, welcome to Finland to get better bees. They have not mating problems.

The most northern bee yard is in Inari, in the head of Finland. (northern latitude 68,6)
Rovaniemi is on Polar Circle. Sometimes ice cover is in Inari lake in the mid of June.

I cannot quarantee that beekeeping is wise, but however it exists.

46_webcam_kartta.gif

Last edited:
i had not realised that bees were kept so far north finman. is that noteasily inside the artic circle

???? what do you mean?

Ivalo bee yard is 250 km from Arctic circle to north and about 1000 km from Helsinki to north.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back