Sales

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well at least I get free carpentry....sometimes under protest but free nonetheless.
I get free bees ,....they usually arrive in the front garden in May or June begging for accommodation and I have to oblige !

Why would you buy 20 boxes of fondant now then ? Is there about to be a world shortage of sugar that we don't know about ... where's the point in tying up all that capital for months if you don't need it ?

I aim buy my fondant in spring, sometimes bee suppliers have overstocked and sell it cheaper. I do suspect it will get dearer too.

Why would you buy 20 boxes of fondant now then ? Is there about to be a world shortage of sugar that we don't know about ... where's the point in tying up all that capital for months if you don't need it ?
In the grand scheme of things it's not loads of capital i got a good deal and will use some of it for queen rearing and feeding.
I should of bought more.

Had 20 supers and 10 broods, 15 poly extensions, 500 frames, 20 Apideas I didn't have to pay a thing :giggle:
Edit 20 boxes of fondant and a tub of OA being delivered had to pay for them. :(
New sublimox and a small gen also on its way.

I didn't have to pay a lot I got a £5k grant from the council. The lot has cost me £20 when I get the VAT back. :cool:

Fondant's great for mini nucs, at mini nuc setting up time there's not enough hours in the day to do everything, even getting on the blower to order fondant, I have lots in stock for this reason, I imagine that's what Mark's up to too.

Fondant's great for mini nucs, at mini nuc setting up time there's not enough hours in the day to do everything, even getting on the blower to order fondant, I have lots in stock for this reason, I imagine that's what Mark's up to too.
It is mate one less thing to worry about, I have my hands full making equipment now still and setting up new apairy sites.

We're always told that, if we can, it's good to be prepared and to have plenty of spare equipment in stock. I also have an unopened box of fondant for that eventuality. It seems that with the changing world and local supply situations, a lot of businesses are changing their attitude to maintaining a stock of basic supplies.
Wise move @Curly green finger's .

I made 800ltrs of syrup the other day with the sugar I had left over from last year.

I've made a resolution to buy at least one kilogram of granulated sugar on each shopping trip to Tescos. By the autumn, I should have enough for the needs of my few bees. It also spreads the risk of fluctuating prices, although I suspect that they're only heading in a vertical direction.

We're always told that, if we can, it's good to be prepared and to have plenty of spare equipment in stock. I also have an unopened box of fondant for that eventuality. It seems that with the changing world and local supply situations, a lot of businesses are changing their attitude to maintaining a stock of basic supplies.
Wise move @Curly green finger's .
Best way to be I've even learned from last season, it doesn't matter how many colonys you have if you can be prepared well in advance then do so even if it means buying a bit at a time to accomplish this.

A bit of a saying - time waits for know man/woman and never rest on your lorals or keep your eggs in one basket as my good lady keeps pointing out.
Another - behind every good man is an even better woman. Quite fitting for today I feel.

Best way to be I've even learned from last season, it doesn't matter how many colonys you have if you can be prepared well in advance then do so even if it means buying a bit at a time to accomplish this.

A bit of a saying - time waits for know man/woman and never rest on your lorals or keep your eggs in one basket as my good lady keeps pointing out.
Another - behind every good man is an even better woman. Quite fitting for today I feel.
I'll give you another ... In business cash is king ... it's not lack of sales that kill a company - it's a lack of cash flow.

Why do you think the likes of Tesco, Sainsbury etc, run a 'just in time' stock replenishment regime - aiming to have it on the shelves when they need it but not stuck in the stockroom 'just in case'. They negotiate supplier terms to get the maximum payment terms so that they pay for stock after it has been sold. If they don't need it - unless someone else is funding the cash flow - they don't buy it.

Sometimes saving a few pounds now by buying and storing is a false economy -Timber items, when the price of timber is increasing hourly, (if you actually NEED more hives), I can understand - it takes time to assemble kit and you will need it by June but £300 tied up in fondant ? Makes little sense.

You may aspire to be a beefarmer but you need to think like a businessman ... Start reading some business books.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lean-Start...f7614869f58&pd_rd_wg=8PKgb&pd_rd_i=B005MR4NCC

I'll give you another ... In business cash is king ... it's not lack of sales that kill a company - it's a lack of cash flow.

Why do you think the likes of Tesco, Sainsbury etc, run a 'just in time' stock replenishment regime - aiming to have it on the shelves when they need it but not stuck in the stockroom 'just in case'. They negotiate supplier terms to get the maximum payment terms so that they pay for stock after it has been sold. If they don't need it - unless someone else is funding the cash flow - they don't buy it.

Sometimes saving a few pounds now by buying and storing is a false economy -Timber items, when the price of timber is increasing hourly, (if you actually NEED more hives), I can understand - it takes time to assemble kit and you will need it by June but £300 tied up in fondant ? Makes little sense.

You may aspire to be a beefarmer but you need to think like a businessman ... Start reading some business books.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lean-Start...f7614869f58&pd_rd_wg=8PKgb&pd_rd_i=B005MR4NCC

Thing is though ... best to avoid too much condescension because you're just talking ... he's actually doing.

I always prize the doers over the talkers, personally.

£200 is also a meaningless amount to worry about in terms of "tied up capital".

(And you're paying far too much for fondant, based on your maths, but that's a side issue)

Last edited:
Thing is though ... best to avoid too much condescension because you're just talking ... he's actually doing.

(And you're paying far too much for fondant, based on your maths, but that's a side issue)
I don't usually need to buy fondant ... at any cost. The principle is the issue here.

I spent enough years working as a business consultant, advising Blue chip companies on good business practice and latterly owning and running a business for 20 years with a £3.5m turnover and 35 people employed to consider myself an entrepreneur and a doer ...and to know what I'm talking about, at least in business, if not in beekeeping.

I've seem more small businesses fail because the owners don't understand the basic principles of business and economics than you can shake a stick at - they expand rapidly and then find they have run out of cash to service the business, pay themselves and the taxes. Perhaps, as Mark is employed by a couple of millionaires who fund the business, he does not have to worry too much but ... there will come a time when he has to look at it as a business and not paid employment.

If you want to succeed and grow in what is supposed to be a business you have to look after the pennies ... if it's just a hobby then it's less vital as you expect to contribute to the costs or let it fund itself.

I agree the amount of money I've paid for the fondant is just about the amount I sell one nuc for.
If we were talking of a few k the consideration would be thought about more, I'm not just a bf... Thinking about it I have a pallet of postcrete sat in the shed ready for a few fencing projects perchased and will be charged to the clients on the books for twice as much as I've paid for it.
I have a business mind no need to send a link that I probably won't read, well I'll probably scout through it as not to be ignorant or whatever.

Latest posts

Back