Safe-Way Beehive Wood Stain

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eshott

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
I recently bought my first hive and a tin of Safe-Way Beehive Wood Stain. When I started to use the stain on the hive I found that the consistency of the stain was like coloured water. After three coats the wood is still clearly visible. Can anyone tell me if this is as it should be or is there something wrong with the stain. Thank you
IMG_20200809_192510973.jpgIMG_20200809_192510973.jpg

My hives tend to use a nice rainbow mix of whichever pots of Garden Shades (or the DIY store's own cheaper version), that I happen to have!

I find that this stuff comes out somewhere halfway between a paint (completely opaque) and a stain (more translucent). I can do one coat if I want a light colour with grain showing through, and a couple of coats for solid colour.
2020-08-10.jpg

My hives tend to use a nice rainbow mix of whichever pots of Garden Shades (or the DIY store's own cheaper version), that I happen to have!

I find that this stuff comes out somewhere halfway between a paint (completely opaque) and a stain (more translucent). I can do one coat if I want a light colour with grain showing through, and a couple of coats for solid colour.
View attachment 21497
Nice!
Make mine look drab

Presuming this is a pine hive and the stain is for weather protection not just colour. I would remove masking tape and paint the edges too. Water will seep between the boxes.

I recently bought my first hive and a tin of Safe-Way Beehive Wood Stain. When I started to use the stain on the hive I found that the consistency of the stain was like coloured water. After three coats the wood is still clearly visible. Can anyone tell me if this is as it should be or is there something wrong with the stain. Thank you
View attachment 21481View attachment 21481
You have effectively coloured water, if it have more colour it would probably be bad for bees, several coats will protect, I have used B & Q fence paint before and it lasts for years.

Latest posts

Back