Running in a Virgin ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnandyrob

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
How do you " run in " a virgin queen into a mini nuc? I have looked on the search and on google but can not find any info.

only stupid one is the one un asked

Having never done it I didnt know how the bees would react after being shut in and realizing they are q-. I have read that queen cells are often introduced in the dark using red light. I thought the bees may pour out and not having oriented to the nuc get confused.

I dont get much luck with queen cells i normaly just put the v queen in there

Having never done it I didnt know how the bees would react after being shut in and realizing they are q-. I have read that queen cells are often introduced in the dark using red light. I thought the bees may pour out and not having oriented to the nuc get confused.

The mini nuc primed with 250ml of bees collected from a "1/2 AS" ( to filter drones and get young bees) and being fed (with fondant) should be left in dark quiet place for 24 to 48 hours then released to start drawing comb BEFORE letting virgin queen in. Nuc can be closed up at night prior to taking to mating site
Some introduce the queen in a cage first... or even a ready to hatch queen cell.

All seems a very black art to me... must learn a few incantatations and spells to get it to work.

Should you release on a full, waxing or waning moon?

If you pop the VQ in a small Nicot cage you can introduce her by opening the cell flap in the apidea clear "crown board", placing the Nicot slider downwards on the gap and gently sliding back the cover of the cage. All bees stay where you want them...VQs can be very flightly.

Some introduce the queen in a cage first... or even a ready to hatch queen cell.

there is a hole 'option' in the bottom of a kieler. Is this for inserting a hair roller cage?

If you pop the VQ in a small Nicot cage you can introduce her by opening the cell flap in the apidea clear "crown board", placing the Nicot slider downwards on the gap and gently sliding back the cover of the cage. All bees stay where you want them...VQs can be very flightly.

My NICOT has a queen space with a place a plug of candy could be placed.. nurse workers could still access her maj tho....
Thoughts?

i never take the chance by running her in the door. I always put her in a butler cage, with a very small piece of candy, and insert this between the frames

Back