Roofs again (sorry!)

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peteinwilts

Drone Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Lots and lots
I need to make a fair number of hives over the winter and am looking at roof waterproofing materials.

I currently use 10mm polycarbonate roofing sheets, and silicone the edges. I am buying them locally in a DIY shop, but know I can get them cheaper. I am currently spending about £7 per hive for the polycarbonate alone.
The drawback is, if I skimp on the silicon just a little, the wood soon becomes waterlogged as the gap retains water (with the weather we have at the moment!). Probably about 1 in 10 fail after a year or two.

I thought about using thin ali or galv, but seems to be very expensive on ebay.

I have also considered fibreglass resin, but again very expensive.

I have been reading old posts, which mention printing plates, but looks to be hit and miss acquiring them. I would prefer a source which I know I can get.

I like the idea of a 'paint' of some description, but cannot find anything cost effective enough to use.

I would rather not go down the felt route, as I am not particularly gentle with my kit, and in my opinion, does not look very tidy.

Need to think mass producing, so must be reliably sourced...
thoughts?
Cheers
Pete

How about a block of kingspan type insulation with the edges taped in waterproof tape. Light, insulated, can buy cheap seconds or free off cuts. Etc etc
E

Mbc I use them for standing stacks of supers in, one on the bottom one on top.

Trying to find second hand aluminium here is a nightmare, I contacted every printers and had no reply, The south Wales evening post moved the printing press from Swansea to Cardiff (I think) I occasionally get off cuts from lorry trailer repairs, If you know someone who breaks caravans that will be your best bet.

I do like the roofs on the Buckfast hives, although I would cover the sloping sides with felt, If only I had the plans or a few photos

The used printing plates are good but only about 0.25mm thick. Very light, mind.

Aluminium is sooo much lighter than the galvanised steel roofs from big T and others.

The thin sheets are easily cut, easily used to seal any corners. My home made versions have all been totally watertight, are deeper and better insulated but not quite as robust as the bigT versions.

Redwood's style of roof look good to me, too.

How about a block of kingspan type insulation with the edges taped in waterproof tape. Light, insulated, can buy cheap seconds or free off cuts. Etc etc
E

We don't tape the edges, our oldest is four years or so now and still giving good service. Will use a lot more in future years simply because it's such a cheap option.

Insulation (s/h) for me.. edges sealed with aluminium foil tape.. about £2 each incl paint.

That's a crazy, and possibly brilliant idea! I might buy and handful to try, and if they do not work, ill use them for supers in the car (currently use upturned lids)

Pros: stackable, light, completely waterproof and durable.
Cons: no protection from telescoping sides and they need a good weight to hold them in place in anything of a wind.

Ally sheet from scrap yards, caravan destruction derbys, local pikeys - plenty of sources without resorting to ebay prices.

Also consider lorry (truck if you're American) trailer curtain sides - they sometimes get ripped and need to be repaired - someone repairs them ! Talk to them for offcuts. Marquee ground sheet and tarpaulin repairs, likewise.

Outside supermarkets etc., you'll find pvc banners advertising all sorts of nonsense - they're quite good too. Again, you'll need to find whoever installs, removes, repairs those. I've just bought a bundle ("Mammoth Sale On Now" etc) for when my stock of ally runs out. Not as heavy-duty as trailer curtain sides, but they were cheap.

To be a beekeeper you either need to become a scrounger, or have deep pockets. :)

LJ

Just remembered - and the Edit button's gone ...

Knackered yacht sails. Not the small ones (say for < 25ft boats) they fetch a price on ebay - but sails from the really BIG buggers, like 35/40 ft plus - their damaged or blown-out sails present a big headache for their owners in terms of disposal. Unless they're very special, repairs or re-cutting etc is false economy, as the cost of sails is in the labour-intensive manufacture of them, not in the material itself.

I took something like six HUGE genoas off a bloke from down Southampton way, and he even delivered them - all for gratis. He was so grateful to get rid of them - recycling centres don't want them, and they create anti-social smoke when burning - so he was looking at actually paying somebody to take them away.

Sails are the right colour of course, and they're waterproof, but you'll still need to paint them, as they do deteriorate from UV degradation - that's why they're covered up (or should be) when not sailing.

They're also good for creating shade, and many other purposes.

LJ

Good Idea, There was a sail making company that sold it's off cuts via the net but can't remember what it was called, rip stop nylon was the material and made many kites for my daughter

Back