roofing material

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark s

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
16 + 3nuc's
Hi All

just wanted to know what members use as an alternative for metal as a roofing material,i can get any scrap metal and need to cover some nuc's ive made, is felt supple enough to take the corners. or ha any one jut used exterior paint on there roofs.
cheers mark

Discarded aluminium printing plates are quite good.

go to a local engineering/sheetmetal worshop and see what they have in the scrap bin or offcuts lying around

you can use anything as long as it keeps the rain out. I cut up an old tarp to cover the roofs of some nucs and they are still working well.

just wanted to know what members use as an alternative for metal as a roofing material,

Any answers of 'metal' do not seem to address the OP's question. Roofing felt, glassfibre and paint are all options, but I don't use them.

I have thought of other materials but i dont think other materials will s
stand the test of time

just wanted to know what members use as an alternative for metal as a roofing material...

I've seen butyl pond liner used as roofing - using leftovers from making a pond. No idea how long it's been there, but it's at least a few years. It can be bought from pond shops off the roll, but would probably work out more expensive than roofing felt or using a butyl paint.

If you aren't too fussed by the way it looks you could probably cut up a waterproof coat from a charity shop and drawing pin it in place.

If you aren't too fussed by the way it looks you could probably cut up a waterproof coat from a charity shop and drawing pin it in place.

Good idea - better with a thin batten, pinned or screwed, around the roof to hold it on.

Main problem would be potential damage (for those of us that use the upturned roof for standing removed boxes on, during inspections).

derek

have you glued correx sheet to the roof of your pir hives?

also i could you please expain how you made the floor grids out of pir and how it works?

thanks

mark

How do you stick the felt on ?

You could try double sides sellotape? Double sided duct tape might be better.

I've just made a nuc and for the roof skin used popped to Wilkinsons and got a roll of Evo-Stick Flashband Tape 3.75mx100mm for £5.98. Don't plan to be putting things on the roof inverted on floor so should probably last a few years.

:grouphug:Galvanised clout nails work fine when roofing houses so should be ok lol

Latest posts

Back