Which type of Nuc to over winter

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fast_muchly

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi ,
Have 4 hives out at a wood but as a safe guarding measure against a total wipe out over winter i want to keep some bees on our kitch roof so i can keep a more closer eye on them through winter . With this in mind i am thinking of a poly nuc simply because of the insulation . But it does get direct damn hot sun at midday . Can you have a poly nuc with brood frames and super frames above or use it as an eke to feed the brood frames ? . Ive not really used a nuc at all except to catch the odd swarm and transfer frames straight into one of our hives or someone else's once they have bias .

Basically im asking any recommendations ? .

I really like the BS poly nucs and I believe you can add an additional box from another supplier I think maismores but others will comment I’m sure. The bees will be fine in the sun I have many in a similar situation, you should find they winter better and drier than those in the wood. I have many in a similar situation.https://www.bshoneybees.co.uk/

Hi ,
Have 4 hives out at a wood but as a safe guarding measure against a total wipe out over winter i want to keep some bees on our kitch roof so i can keep a more closer eye on them through winter . With this in mind i am thinking of a poly nuc simply because of the insulation . But it does get direct damn hot sun at midday . Can you have a poly nuc with brood frames and super frames above or use it as an eke to feed the brood frames ? . Ive not really used a nuc at all except to catch the odd swarm and transfer frames straight into one of our hives or someone else's once they have bias .

Basically im asking any recommendations ? .

The Abelo, a six-frame nuc is really a half-hive. It's fairly expensive, but would be perfect for what you want to do. You can place extra BS deep, six-frame, Abelo boxes above. The crownboard has a slot that can be unplugged to fit their custom, Ashforth feeder above, whilst being insulated under the roof and not disturbing bees when being refilled.

Latest posts

Back