Roof Type

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can lay a flat roof upside down on the floor when doing an inspection - you have a nice clean area then to stack the supers on and less way to bend down to pick them up. Also if you have a nice deep flat roof you don't need an eke when you have insulation on.
I make mine from 3/4 inch ply at least 6" deep, theu're heavy enough then not to need a brick on top in high winds.
Flat roofs are also easier to store

You can lay a flat roof upside down on the floor when doing an inspection - you have a nice clean area then to stack the supers on and less way to bend down to pick them up. Also if you have a nice deep flat roof you don't need an eke when you have insulation on.
I make mine from 3/4 inch ply at least 6" deep, theu're heavy enough then not to need a brick on top in high winds.
Flat roofs are also easier to store

:spy:BUT SWMBO likes the gabled ones!!!

:spy:BUT SWMBO likes the gabled ones!!!

Does she like your semi-gabled ones, from beehive supplies?

Nice compromise for a poly national, sloped roof but with end walls so it stands flat (upside down) during inspection.
And the insulating poly thickness is more (better) than Pain's flattie (which I don't like standing things on where the ground is even slightly uneven.

No question, a peaked roof does look much prettier on a wooden hive, justifying a higher price. Notably it is thought prettier by absolutely all those who know nothing about bees! And it is a right nuisance at inspection.

Last edited:
So whats the preferred roof type flat or gabled ?
Any advantages ?
Or is all about aesthetics?

A brick slides off a gabled roof but you could use two bricks when you turn it upside down during inspections, one each side...;)

I've got both - the gabled design is not as sturdy as the flat roof. I tend to have repair the gabled ones every 2 seasons as the parts tend to work loose. I now prefer the flat roof type.

Also if you suffer from woodpeckers and want to put a protective wire cage around the hive over the Winter it's easier to do this with a flat roof.

Andy

Does she like your semi-gabled ones, from beehive supplies?

Nice compromise for a poly national, sloped roof but with end walls so it stands flat (upside down) during inspection.
And the insulating poly thickness is more (better) than Pain's flattie (which I don't like standing things on where the ground is even slightly uneven.

No question, a peaked roof does look much prettier on a wooden hive, justifying a higher price. Notably it is thought prettier by absolutely all those who know nothing about bees! And it is a right nuisance at inspection.

She does... but the favourites are the WBCs in the orchard !

She does... but the favourites are the WBCs in the orchard !

WBC's are fine (I have 5) The more you have, the more their failings show.

Inspections take twice as long

Expensive

Nationals are more flexible for swarm control, use of Horsley boards etc.

But I do like the look of WBC's and are generally warmer, and are left alone by woodpeckers.

Pays yer money, takes yer pick.

Gable roofs are only decorative whereas flat roofs, inverted, are something to stack the supers on.

My bee buddy made a couple of our hives with a felted gable roof over an unprotected flat roof. On inspections the gable is propped up at the side while the flattie is used to put the supers on. It has the advantage of giving that bit more insulation, and looks pretty so as not to attract complaints from her what looks at them out of the kitchen window. All in all, a win/win situation. It just means a bit more wood and a bit more work.

My bee buddy made a couple of our hives with a felted gable roof over an unprotected flat roof. On inspections the gable is propped up at the side while the flattie is used to put the supers on. It has the advantage of giving that bit more insulation, and looks pretty so as not to attract complaints from her what looks at them out of the kitchen window. All in all, a win/win situation. It just means a bit more wood and a bit more work.

Well done good idea the best of both worlds

I have two gabled at home in the garden as they are more attractive but in the out apiary all flats as more practical for the reasons others have already mentioned.

Good idea

correctly designed hive stands should allow a roof to be rested upside down ok.

Interesting point, but I don't think many do design their stands with the idea of supporting an upside-down gabled roof.
Possibly because most of those with self-designed (large) hive-stands wouldn't consider using gabled roofs!

rose
- i quite like the idea of a faux gable roof, how do you fix it so it doesn't blow off?

rose
- i quite like the idea of a faux gable roof, how do you fix it so it doesn't blow off?

The gable has a batten under the overhang on either side to prevent sideways movement and the slope is quite shallow, so a brick can be put on either side.

Latest posts

Back