Robbing? Or something else?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonnyPicklechin

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
20 odd
I decided to a add whole box of wet honey frames as part of a second expansion chamber to a really strong hive. (The wet frames are full size nationals, once a Demaree top box which quickly back filled.)

Since putting it in there is a huge amount of activity at the entrance, bearding, clouding etc. But no fighting I can see: There are no bees on the floor, fighting, dead or alive.

Has anyone else introduced ex-honey wet brood frames this way and experienced this? Am I asking for trouble?

Ive reasoned that the strong hive will clean up the honey remains quickly, overnight probably, so my optimistic side says if there is no fighting visible things will settle down as they will have cleared up the honey by the morning.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Was it orientation time? Can lead to some pretty impressive activity at the entrance. About 3pm usually for me at this time of year.

When doing that I think people recommend against new box below and it seems to make sense to pop the tray in for a day or so.

I guess you should be OK but robbing is horrid horrid horrid and the best cure is not to get it started. Good luck. Worst case close them for a day or so.

<ADD> Another thought is I'd be a bit wary of adding too much space at this point. Colonies are shrinking and soon will be shrinking fast (around me: v similar envt I would have thought)</ADD>

Last edited:
Your description doesn’t sound like robbing to me. Maybe you got them excited and there’s not much else out there for them?

Maybe they are excited thinking there is a flow on?

Sounds like a mixture of orientation and bees getting excited from adding the extra box.
You've used the second box Johnny for expansion?? Was this colony a split? Sounds like they are were on more than 6/8 frames of brood and growing not shrinking?

Hey Mark -

Split from May. They have been on an upward surge and wanted to give chance for more space in the next 2 to 3 weeks before they slow down.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Hey Mark -

Split from May. They have been on an upward surge and wanted to give chance for more space in the next 2 to 3 weeks before they slow down.

I thought so, I've splits in the same position from May even to the point I've taken brood frames to boost other colonys..
They will be a strong colony going into winter.

Prediction correct...all bees were back to order the next morning.

I wonder if nurse bees block the lower brood area with feeding excitement causing the foragers to experience a "long tail back from the services".

Yes I have seen this when feeding wet frames back. It certainly triggers a surge of interest from wasps and bees from other hives. Cut entrances back to the minimum for a day as a matter of routine whenever doing this, to give the hive a chance to defend itself.

Back