Robbing or just drones blocking entrance?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bees coming and going including drones. Nothing abnormal that I can see.
Is it supposed to be in slo mo because that does exaggerate the clumsy looking approach if a drone over a worker but they are getting in just fine through the large gaps.

Bees coming and going including drones. Nothing abnormal that I can see.
Is it supposed to be in slo mo because that does exaggerate the clumsy looking approach if a drone over a worker but they are getting in just fine through the large gaps.

:iagree:

Yes, slow mo. Never realised they were clumsy flyers before
Thx for the comments
I have been watching this colony for over a month now and their numbers are increasing with activity. Dread to think how much honey is above my TV right now!
Last few days the drones seem to be doing a daily mess about and causing a backlog of returning foragers.
Hoping they will swarm soon because I want to get some in my hives.
Nice vid of bees feeding or passing necter - https://youtu.be/oOiDdKcbroY

Think of an aeroplane coming in to land and suddenly another one appears in front. I watched an incoming worker have a head on collision with an exiting bee today, she landed on the grass and put herself straight before going in.

Think of an aeroplane coming in to land and suddenly another one appears in front. I watched an incoming worker have a head on collision with an exiting bee today, she landed on the grass and put herself straight before going in.

OOch.
They also seem to have more difficulty when returning fully loaded
Getting more and more interest in the empty hive today. Some of the exploring bees seem to spend quite a long time insie - hoping they will move in soon

Could be the Drones being evicted. This was happening at one of my hives today

I found a number of drones dead, stuck in the queen excluder, facing up.
I wondered if they were no longer being fed by the workers, prior to eviction and were trying to get to a super for food?

Yep. They stop feeding them and literally bully them out and defend the entrance preventing them getting back in. Sod Matriarchy for a laugh!

Latest posts

Back