Robbing bees?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apiglen

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Managed to have a look inside the hive about two weeks ago, bees seemed plentiful, 5-6 frames of brood, added a super and the QE, didnt do too much weather was only just warm enough to risk a look. Since then I havent been able to check again due to weather.
Today my daughter called me to say bees were carrying bees off, sounded strange so went home to have alook, and sure enough, every few minutes two (or three) bees would fly apparently joined together. there were also about a dozen dead bees on the landing board. Did manage to get a close up of the combatants and they were both black bees My only conclusion was that the hive was being robbed and the bees were joined together by a sting as the robber flew off. Does this sound right ? From the books it seems bees usually rob weaker hives so is it likely that mine have swarmed and I have missed it, there has been no recent activty to spill honey or syrup anywhere near the hive to attract robbers

have the bees been flying over the last few days?

it could be just bees carrying out the dead that they havent been able to deal with because of it beeing non flying weather.

They have been out recently, between the showers, not in large numbers but certainly flying

I would be inclined to think 'general house cleaning '. You tend not to get robbing in a land of plenty.

Agree with dpearce - almost certainly cleaning out the dead 'uns in a spring clean. Suggest you check that the floor behind the entrance is clear of dross. Take out the entrance block and poke right to the back with a wooden rod and draw the rubbish out that way. Always put the entrance block back as a small entrance is more natural for bees; also makes defence against intruders/robbers easier.

Latest posts

Back