Rimadyl

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
5...2 wooden National, 2 poly Nat & 1 poly nuc...bursting at the seams
Calling all vets etc!!

I have an old Bulmastiff, called Winston. He is 8 and a bit, and wonderful - BUT he has 2 tumours that have been left alone after discussions...and joint problems/muscle deterioration in both rear hips - but not ready for the dog walk in the sky.

We give Rimadyl - as he won't touch anything else...spits them out, hides them etc. Rimadyl he eats no problems and they do work...BUT
  • Long term use has drawbacks - at his age does it matter?
  • They are VERY expensive 30 100mg tabs = £46
  • Can't buy online cheaper without a prescription - but have been with a wonderful vet from the start and don't want to 'do' her...

PLEASE does anyone have any alternate suggestions???

We're fortunate enough to have a homoeopathic vet nearby (who also holds conventional vet qualifications), and would recommend seeking one out - thankfully many "ordinary" vets are also offering it as an alternative - certainly worth a try, it can work wonders - good luck, I dote on my dogs, and know how awful it can be when one of them is ill!

We've had two elderly dogs on Metacam for arthritis. The liquid stuff...and we got it mail order as cheaper than the vet...even after paying for the prescription. Also it arrives on the doorstep rather than having to drive a ten mile round trip for it (more eco). They both loved it....I expect it's meat-flavoured :puke:...and the dose is weight dependent.

Vet here :)
Get that prescription. Your vet will be used to dishing them out and you won't be "doing" her.

I find that NSAIDs for most chronic problems can be given just as effectively on an alternate day basis.
Yes they compromise the kidneys and liver but do keep giving them to keep him comfortable. It's not likely to matter considering his condition.

Glucosamine with chondroitin and MSM have well known capabilities in the prevention and relief of arthritis symptoms but from Winston's age I would suspect that there is already significant bony change in his joints so he will need analgesics and anti inflammatories as well.
Good luck, he sounds lovely.

Thanks all - I hate watching the slide down hill - only a few months ago he seemed young and now I have an olllllld dog - so sad, I'll miss him like crazy but will go see the vet as Erichalfbee suggests

Last edited:
Thanks all - I hate watching the slide down hill - only a few months ago he seemed young and now I have an olllllld dog - so sad, I'll miss him like crazy but will go see the vet as Erichalfbee suggests

Hi, I have 12 year old Samoyed , she has an arthritic hip which slows her down a bit . Local vet not much use (He's the shrug and leave it type) renowned equestrian consultant I must say :)
I have received this Email off a friend who runs an organisation connected with Sammy's .

Hello Margaret & John, and not forgetting Sasha,
Good to hear from you.
There is an injection available for arthritic dogs. It is called Cartrophen. It is Australian and non-steriodal. So many dogs are being helped, mobility wise, from this injection, including older dogs. They have one injection each of 4 weeks and then another a month later and then the vet assesses the situation as to how frequently the dog needs the injection. Our Shadow has benefitted from these injections. He couldn't put any weight on one of his back legs. He just held it up in the air. By the third injection, he was back to normal. At our vets, the injection costs £7.50. The consultation fee is the most expensive part.
I think it may be worth having a word with your vet about this. Unlike Metacam and Rymadil, there aren't any side effects.
Please keep me posted.
Best wishes,
Brenda

Hope you find the contents useful:)
VM

Latest posts

Back