Rigger/safety boots bargain

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeeJayBee

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Strolling past Millets earlier today, and spotted some pairs of Rigger/safety boots - reduced to £6.

Did you buy some... good if you work on an oil rig or such like i suppose.

OH bought some in local builders merchant a few weeks back. Had the assistant in absolute stitches - not just that a "woman" was buying them BUT that she took size 7.5-8 AND when trying them on was wearing odd ski socks.

OH bought some in local builders merchant a few weeks back. Had the assistant in absolute stitches - not just that a "woman" was buying them BUT that she took size 7.5-8 AND when trying them on was wearing odd ski socks.

Quite normal around here...to drink pints and wear steelies as a woman (and not a pretend one either). And hairy legs are optional :D

"good if you work on an oil rig or such like i suppose."

or are clumsy/have poor grip!
drstitson, are you saying that people that wear rigger safety boots are clumsy and or have poor grip when i would of thought that you would of had more sence than come out with a sentence like that ?

"good if you work on an oil rig or such like i suppose."

or are clumsy/have poor grip!
drstitson, are you saying that people that wear rigger safety boots are clumsy and or have poor grip when i would of thought that you would of had more sence than come out with a sentence like that ?

I expect it was a personal comment rather than a general one.

Happy Christmas from up the road :)

No use on a rig.

No provenance and so no traceability. All safety wear is supplied on rigs.

PH

I bought two pairs very cheap earlier this year. My understanding (and I may have got this wrong) is that they are now banned from building sites and the like because they do not provide the correct level of ankle support.

I don't know if anyone can confirm/deny this?

Oops, I didn't mean to be controversial. :blush5: I thought it was worth mentioning in case anybody was looking for some safety boots for use at home.

And I thought they were a good bargain too, so did get a pair - useful for all sorts of things, including gardening. Garden forks and wellies, or welly shoes, don't go well together.

Edit : - I was composing this whilst DorsetB was posting their comment.

I bought two pairs very cheap earlier this year. My understanding (and I may have got this wrong) is that they are now banned from building sites and the like because they do not provide the correct level of ankle support.

I don't know if anyone can confirm/deny this?

it's been an issue for some time and there has been a general industry wide move to have them banned, not only for the reason you note with regard to the ankle support but also because of their 'easy off' fitting which has resulted in many operatives totally loosing their boot in harsh conditions and concrete pours.

For myself, my safety boot of preference these days is the Kynox Mariner, an excellent foot protector.

Aha, there you go, thanks for that JtD.

In my case I couldn't resist them as, apart from the price, they had side pockets which are just the right size to take the battery packs for my heated insoles.

RIGGER BOOTS, has the dreaded asian hornet arrived? Or is it for handling the new lead-lined hives for when N Korea drops the nukes on us?

Apology

Read in context:

"OH bought some" followed by "clumsy/have poor grip!".

and from calming bees thread "she slipped topping up the feeder and knocked the hive - ended up with hair full of bees and a dozen stings."

Read in context:

"OH bought some" followed by "clumsy/have poor grip!".

and from calming bees thread "she slipped topping up the feeder and knocked the hive - ended up with hair full of bees and a dozen stings."

DROP some knowledge on them drstitson

Can't understand the 'lack of ankle support' statement, I suppose wellies are deemed adequate? I suppose wellies will be banned for the same reason then?

Best footwear I ever bought was a certain pair of riggers that I am still wearing now. Not bad considering they are over 10 years old.

It's true Swarm, as I left the North Sea for this business about a year before they decided that the "Rigger boot" or Jalatte as they are often known lacked ankle support and so as the guys wore them out they were given a lace up style with the steel toe cap.

All based on ankle injury stats. Remember a lot of them are worn by men who are walking across pipes a lot of the time and when steel and rain meet it gets very slippy indeed, add in some oilfield drilling mud and it is treacherous to say the least.

PH

I suppose wellies are deemed adequate? I suppose wellies will be banned for the same reason then?

The thing with wellingtons (in a construction site context) is that they are rarely worn and as such have managed to stay below the radar to some extent whereas the riggers were a 'regular' every day type of boot hence the stats would naturally be against them compared to the wellington's.

This apparent blind spot probably suits the big companies as wellingtons have a very valid use when it comes to such jobs as laying concrete (no one in their right mind would put a pair of stitched leather boots anywhere near that stuff) and making live connections in sewers etc; but are never the boot of choice for daily wear.

Ultimately, your supposition that they may also be banned may well become the case, at least, that would seem to be the natural (although not sensible) progression from here.

Last edited:
That's precisely my point, they work out figures according to stats and (over) react in the manner you describe, regardless of the view of the individual who is wearing them.

I always found rigger boots rubbed the hairs off my calfs just in one spot...looked like I had been waxed:rofl:

Always had to have trousers (boiler suit) over top of boots to prevent them filling up with chemicals and the like.

Latest posts

Back