Rhombus clearer board

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I cleared 4 hives with 2 to 3 supers on each overnight, about 16 hours. I haven’t heard of people having problems with Rhombus boards, Porter escapes, yes, the bees get trapped. If you do leave Rhombus boards too long the bees may find their way back.
Good luck.

. If you do leave Rhombus boards too long the bees may find their way back.
Good luck.

I seldom leave mine on for more than a week, never had a problem with bees finding their way back

Attachments

• rhombus1.jpg
    rhombus1.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 19
  • rhombus2.jpg
    rhombus2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 20
I cleared 4 hives with 2 to 3 supers on each overnight, about 16 hours. I haven’t heard of people having problems with Rhombus boards, Porter escapes, yes, the bees get trapped. If you do leave Rhombus boards too long the bees may find their way back.
Good luck.

In this hot weather had a few that wouldn't clear after 24 hours. Usually they descend seeking the heat from the main hive body...no need when it was this hot.
Never had a problem with them finding their way back either.

I work on the rule of thumb of 24 hours for each super. I popped one under the top two supers of a hive on Saturday and by Monday afternoon there wasn't a single bee in there.

I left one on for three weeks with an eke underneath. No forage . No comb in eke, no bees back into super.
The lack of forage is the key I suspect.

I sometimes end up leaving mine on till the next routine inspection. These were left on for a week during a good nectar flow. The brace comb is easy enought to remove after moving the bees with a puff of smoke. Wild comb with honey goes to friends and relatives.

rhombus escape on a week 2.jpg

rhombus escape on a week 1.jpg

Thanks for the photo ... interesting that you have cut the Rhombus device in two then ?

Not my idea someone else on here - The rationale being that bees move downwards at the sides rather than the middle, added to there now being two exit holes in the board they clear quicker.
In comparison with conventional clearer boards with a whole rhombus and a single central hole, to be honest, there is no discernible difference in clearance times between either design. I like them though.

Thanks for the photo ... interesting that you have cut the Rhombus device in two then ?

0c2e8c4de4cac4b32f92df7e1e56f03b.jpg

All my treated thus !
22be021bab62fa02682746106eaa1526.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Good photos .
I have seen people put rhombus ON TOP of the clearer board and wonder why supers not cleared...
Full supers to one side..The rhomus goes on the emptier supers flat side down and the board over the top with the rhombus dead centre to the hole. If a 2nd hole in clearer board, then cover with tile or similar... Full supers on that! seems obvious, but only if you have done before. Maybe this should be on beginners page:rolleyes:

Good photos .

I have seen people put rhombus ON TOP of the clearer board and wonder why supers not cleared...

Full supers to one side..The rhomus goes on the emptier supers flat side down and the board over the top with the rhombus dead centre to the hole. If a 2nd hole in clearer board, then cover with tile or similar... Full supers on that! seems obvious, but only if you have done before. Maybe this should be on beginners page:rolleyes:

You will note . My branded initials serve to remind me that I’ve put the clearing board on the correct way up ! [emoji6]
In the past I’ve piled heavy supers back on and then thought . God did I put the clearer board on the correct way ?
Couldn’t rest until I’d checked !
All that humping ! [emoji15]
Had to have a strategy fast ! [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

You will note . My branded initials serve to remind me that I’ve put the clearing board on the correct way up ! [emoji6]
In the past I’ve piled heavy supers back on and then thought . God did I put the clearer board on the correct way ?
Couldn’t rest until I’d checked !
All that humping ! [emoji15]
Had to have a strategy fast ! [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Now that IS a good idea JW!

I have a plastic paynes eke that I was going to use ... but guess I can knock up a wood one in the garage like wot you have done !

Now that IS a good idea JW!

I have a plastic paynes eke that I was going to use ... but guess I can knock up a wood one in the garage like wot you have done !

Yep . It’s actually a modified porter bee escape type, with the holes blanked off and re drilled to suit the positioning of the Rhombus halves !
The addition of an eke ! Job done !

Good photos .

So I have only ever used my paynes crownboard

https://www.paynesbeefarm.co.uk/polystyrene-national-hive/poly-crownboard-with-porter-escapes/

sat in that position there ...like a bowl .. and had a feeder in it

... but for this purpose I have to attach the rhombus and turn it upside down then ...think I got it !

Latest posts

Back