Rhododendrons in Britain

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oxnatbees

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
warre
Number of Hives
There is a rather entertaining and informative article on 'mad honey' in today's Guardian:

www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jan/16/creating-a-buzz-turkish-beekeepers-risk-life-and-limb-to-make-mad-honey

This made me wonder. I have seen a huge area of rhododendron at Cragside in Northumberland, and I understand rhododendron is an invasive shrub which is spreading steadily in other areas. Surely some British beeks have hives near such areas. Do they notice any effects on the honey - taste, psychoactive effects?

One possibiliy of course is yes, but they are keeping quiet about it 8)

Loads of the stuff around me on heath areas and gardens very rarely if ever seen honey bees on them normally reserved for bumbles.

My local conservation group has meetings just to cut this stuff out.

I always thought it was only found in rhododendrons for certain areas of the world. A quick look in wikipedia seems to confirm that thought “….. over 750 species that grow around the world in parts of Europe, North America, Japan, Nepal and Turkey. They can grow at a variety of altitudes ranging from sea level to more than three kilometers above. While many of these species contain grayanotoxins, only a few contain significant levels. Species with high concentrations of grayanotoxins such as R. ponticum, R. flavum and R. luteum are most commonly found in Nepal and regions of Turkey bordering the Black Sea....”

Rhododendrons are an imported native species. Sub species of Apis Mellifera in their home range can become immune to the toxins they produce. The honey often has properties that can cause hallucinations and stupor. Plants growing near the Black Sea have locally adapted AM Caucasia that can feed on them.
see
https://research.tamu.edu/2014/11/03/how-eating-mad-honey-cost-pompey-the-great-1000-soldiers/
I have also read an account of British Explorers in the Himalaya who were given honey derived from these plants and had a quite pleasurable reaction to it.
All the bees on Colonsay were lost to the poisons when other forage was not available and they had to feed on it.
A recent talk at the bee club on Toxins and honey said that there is evidence that bees in the Iberian Peninsular were adapting to cope with the toxins but in Ireland the plants themselves are adapting to produce less toxins to ensure pollination.

Latest posts

Back