Reuniting after Pagden

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dadnlad

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
A few and some more
I started 3 Pagden A/S on Saturday
My intention is to go back into the brood halfs and remove any subsequent swarm cells tomorrow, making them all hopelessly Q-
How long need I wait before reuniting them with their original Qs ? Next day ok ?

you need to wait until the new queens in the Q- sides of the Pagden emerge, get mated and proved to be laying before killing the old queens in the Q+ half then uniting.

If you've made all those Q- sides hopelessly queenless I think you've misread the instructions somewhat

I started 3 Pagden A/S on Saturday
My intention is to go back into the brood halfs and remove any subsequent swarm cells tomorrow, making them all hopelessly Q-
How long need I wait before reuniting them with their original Qs ? Next day ok ?
If you do that they will just swarm anyway.
The old colony needs to make a new queen to quell the swarming instinct. One she is up and laying you can choose which to keep and unite if you don’t want increase.
Thank heavens you haven’t nobbled all the QCs. Keep one and let them re queen themselves.

Back