Restarting my hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GothicKeeper

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
Hi,

I started my first private hive last year but lost it in february, due to personal circumstances and the money I spent getting up and running I'm struggling to get up and running again with a new colony, I had no luck getting a swarm despite my hive being on an orchard. Any advice welcome.

Hi. First. Swarming season isn’t over yet. What do you have in your bait hive?
Join your local BKA and work with their bees at their training apiary. Make a few contacts there

Bees are expensive to buy... your only hope of free bees is to collect a swarm . .are you a member of an association.. most associations have swarm collectors and will often pass swarms that are collected on to menbers needing bees .. with just a nominal donation. Its not too late for swarms so don't give up but it will only happen if there are colonies ready to swarm in the vicinity.

Hi. First. Swarming season isn’t over yet. What do you have in your bait hive?
Join your local BKA and work with their bees at their training apiary. Make a few contacts there
thank you, I'm using swarm commander with some of my old frames I was told to use that helps entice them in if spread out inside a hive. It's only the old hive I'm using as a trap so it's not very high off the ground but its in 50/50 sun / shade (its painted a relatively dark colour). I am part of a BKA group, I might try messaging them again. I've been going from two books and my knowledge from 20 years ago when I did it in highschool

Hi,

I started my first private hive last year but lost it in february, due to personal circumstances and the money I spent getting up and running I'm struggling to get up and running again with a new colony, I had no luck getting a swarm despite my hive being on an orchard. Any advice welcome.
It's coming into swarm time. I suggest you ask York BKA if you can go on their swarm responders list. You've also got Barkston Ash and Selby associations handy and I do know Selby are receiving swarm calls from the public this month. Both Selby and Barkston Ash have Facebook pages which you might like to contact.

Also see if there are any registered pest control companies in your area and contact them.
Sometimes they are paid to remove colonies of bees, and then are left with the task of rehousing them.

Swarming has only just started around me. Nothing in May but I’ve picked up several in June, I think they have held off swarming until there is some forage about.

Swarming has only just started around me. Nothing in May but I’ve picked up several in June, I think they have held off swarming until there is some forage about.
They did that here a couple of years back with a cold, wetter spring. The swarming then extended a bit too ...a little into January (your July).

Bees are expensive to buy... your only hope of free bees is to collect a swarm . .are you a member of an association.. most associations have swarm collectors and will often pass swarms that are collected on to menbers needing bees .. with just a nominal donation. Its not too late for swarms so don't give up but it will only happen if there are colonies ready to swarm in the vicinity.
It’s quiet as anything on the swarm front here. Mind you, if I was a bee, I wouldn’t want to leave my cosy hive for a wet & windy fly right now!

It’s quiet as anything on the swarm front here. Mind you, if I was a bee, I wouldn’t want to leave my cosy hive for a wet & windy fly right now!
Yes .. after a bit of a flurry of early swarms over here it's gone very quiet in the last couple of weeks, none of mine showing even the slightest hint of swarming - lazy little beggars I reckon !

Yes .. after a bit of a flurry of early swarms over here it's gone very quiet in the last couple of weeks, none of mine showing even the slightest hint of swarming - lazy little beggars I reckon !
Likewise. Drone cells, decent amounts of brood but not a sign of swarm cells. Only VQs I have on the go were from a pre-emptive split and requeening a nasty hive!

It's coming into swarm time. I suggest you ask York BKA if you can go on their swarm responders list. You've also got Barkston Ash and Selby associations handy and I do know Selby are receiving swarm calls from the public this month. Both Selby and Barkston Ash have Facebook pages which you might like to contact.
There were a couple of swarm appeals in the Selby Beekeepers FB group over the last couple of days. Have you made contact or maybe you've got bees now?

Latest posts

Back