Research into swarming

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
guess thats called supercedure no swarm
I don't believe so: Supercedure is when the colony replaces the queen; Swarming is when about half the colony leaves the hive and takes the Queen with them, leaving behind Swarm (Queen) cells yet to emerge.
Many things can affect / cause Supercedure, but two things which will trigger it is,
1. inbreeding to a high degree, meaning Supercedure shortly after egg laying (if the inbreeding is low the colony exhibits higher swarmyness), and
2. low levels of Sperm in the Spermatheca from insufficient mating, and then when the Queen is getting older and her fertility is dropping off (increasing number of eggs not fertilized).

For example, it's uncommon for colonies headed by Queens mated that same year to attempt to swarm (there's always exceptions to rules), ie: less than one year old Queens, it's common for that same colony with their second year old Queen to attempt to swarm once in the next year, and the next year I would expect two attempts to swarm, usually one in May and again in July. I seem to recall reading research into this by Ruttner, strange experiments in which they painted over or ablated the pheromone areas of the queen, or split a colony in two, dividing it with a sheet of plastic (with two opposite entrances) and glued the queen in a small hole in the plastic sheet, so her upper body was exposed to the upper hive and her lower body exposed to the lower hive (exposing the two colonies to different sets of pheromones, and so on!?!??!

I don't believe so: Supercedure is when the colony replaces the queen; Swarming is when about half the colony leaves the hive and takes the Queen with them, leaving behind Swarm (Queen) cells yet to emerge.
Many things can affect / cause Supercedure, but two things which will trigger it is,
1. inbreeding to a high degree, meaning Supercedure shortly after egg laying (if the inbreeding is low the colony exhibits higher swarmyness), and
2. low levels of Sperm in the Spermatheca from insufficient mating, and then when the Queen is getting older and her fertility is dropping off (increasing number of eggs not fertilized).

For example, it's uncommon for colonies headed by Queens mated that same year to attempt to swarm (there's always exceptions to rules), ie: less than one year old Queens, it's common for that same colony with their second year old Queen to attempt to swarm once in the next year, and the next year I would expect two attempts to swarm, usually one in May and again in July. I seem to recall reading research into this by Ruttner, strange experiments in which they painted over or ablated the pheromone areas of the queen, or split a colony in two, dividing it with a sheet of plastic (with two opposite entrances) and glued the queen in a small hole in the plastic sheet, so her upper body was exposed to the upper hive and her lower body exposed to the lower hive (exposing the two colonies to different sets of pheromones, and so on!?!??!
hi , will try to explain what was meant as much better as can , excuse me if something is missunderstood and feel free reply anything , dont need to agree:)

jep by secreting queen mandibular pheromone continually announces her presence, behavior, location, state of fertility and hunger so as suspended alongside larvae pheromone the ovaries of workers and so as bees feed her to keep laying and also if her fertillity isnt right to supercedure her , or and with her more retinue pheromones if workers ll recognise her or reject - supercedure her same happens when introduce ''post'' Queens from different stock that what your apiary has

thats all about Queen she has wrong name she is just a mother-importand ovarie laying and pass the genes alongside drones(both do no affect swarm) , her name is wrong and confuse most peepl with her role cause she is not reign(genes reign) and bees decide where to lay what to lay when to be fed when not......... she is not involve directly though her phero in colony decisions but indirectly with her larvae brood phero(ab ocimene phero) and capped brood phero (ester phero) which both alongside demography population and those bees phero/hormones and nutricion take the decisions such as in our example swarm!!she is not involve in swarm decision , the reason why a same year new mated Q do no ussually swarm is cause she cant reach her pick in laying and so drive the population on its top and thats why we see 1-2-3 y old Q colonies swarm cause them can reach them pick and also thats why older Q thats has dropping them fertillity bees supercedure them while let her alive lay alongside daughter until her ''grandchildren'' take the upper hand in colony and dissapear her but newly mated Q with bad fertillity or introduced Q from foreign stock dissapear immediately before even supercedure cell sealed

its all about bees(demography of both population and brood and them pheromones) not Q thats what wanted to point out by my previous post , swarm means that Q ve reach her pick in that season and jep her phero and most her larvae phero is diluted but not beacuase her age or cause her not been good(acctually is one of the best and if she was old or not good bees then ll supercedure her not swarm) but because other pheromones ve reached them pick iside the colony and are more strong in that period and cause bees are economy insticts and them purpose is reign them genes take that chance and reproduce them

which are those phero take that decison? have to think which bees involve in swarm?what the most 2 things a swarm can do?which bees age can do both those?what to give to them or take from them so as mind them ?

a swarm can most draw combs and keep high Vitellogenin levels so as feed next gene , bees that can do those both are the mid-age bees , mid age bees are a ''reserve army'' for the colony can do all works but vent yet passed in to Juvenine hormone and so not yet passed into forager life so keep high Vg levels to feed if needed and can draw combs when exhange with foragers the crop(Ethyl Oleate phero dilute them pass into foragers) and they store it in cell combs but when them cant find empty cells to store it them hold it and that develops their wax glands and cause bees are economy insects when these population reach the pick and broodnest in that period is full with capped brood(puppae Ester phero dilute them pass into foragers) cause Q have also reached her laying pick before and alongside with pollen flow(high Vg levels) and with the absence of larvae brood(ab ocimene phero increase the transition into foragers consumed Vg/jelly) cause of no free cells for Qlay , bees swarm so as that mid age bees poppulation don't stay idle(bees economy insects) and also to pass their genes(genes reign)

so jep as all we say, congestion but which congestion?what kind of population/brood? or space them need space , jep space but what space drawn - undrawn , where the drawn box and where the undrawn and do bees only consider as space the drawn comb? or feeding or no feeding but which bees exhange the feeding crop and do exhange also ethyl oleate phero with feedin or no?or do a heavy feeding dilute the amount of ethyl oleate like heavy flows do and we pass from swarm to a backfilling ?.........

I have escaped that point of deification or demonization Queen but thats me , she is important as mothers are and thats all , bees run the thing , thats my whole theory in two wrods

hope not chattered much(well, feel did :() , at least tried not , but you know ......... bees:rolleyes:

Back