Requeen possible problem

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garysbee

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
My hive went queenless about 3 weeks ago virgin left with a half the bees no sign of another virgin . I put a test frame in Sunday before last they build queen cells so I bought a queen 2 days ago put the cage in checked today and they look like there begin aggressive towards the cage what do I do now .

Why did you buy a new queen gary if like you say they built queen cells from your test frame ???

Don't release her for a few more days.
I release onto a frame of bees and observe their reaction to her, usually it's fine, but occasionally it isn't, so back she goes for a few more days.
But beware I lost one queen this year that flew off the frame....so it's not a perfect solution I'm afraid.

Don't release her for a few more days.
I release onto a frame of bees and observe their reaction to her, usually it's fine, but occasionally it isn't, so back she goes for a few more days.
But beware I lost one queen this year that flew off the frame....so it's not a perfect solution I'm afraid.

Going to put food on them now seemingly it might help

My hive went queenless about 3 weeks ago virgin left with a half the bees no sign of another virgin . I put a test frame in Sunday before last they build queen cells so I bought a queen 2 days ago put the cage in checked today and they look like there begin aggressive towards the cage what do I do now .

If you leave them queenless for 9 days, all brood will be sealed. You can then go through shaking all the bees from the comb and removing all of the cells they have started. You can then introduce your queen (preferably under a push in cage). If they are still showing aggression, I would suggest there is a virgin running around in the hive that you haven't spotted.

If you leave them queenless for 9 days, all brood will be sealed. You can then go through shaking all the bees from the comb and removing all of the cells they have started. You can then introduce your queen (preferably under a push in cage). If they are still showing aggression, I would suggest there is a virgin running around in the hive that you haven't spotted.

I have no brood left in hive all hatched first virgin hatched about 3 weeks ago

Are the bees difficult to remove from the cage, as though they are trying to smother her, or could it be friendly and the are trying to release her?

Not 100 percent sure but seem to wanting to smother her

Latest posts

Back