Replacement Hoods

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3bees

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
10 poly hives
So impressed with the package I received in the post this morning.

For the last couple of years I have noticed the hoods on my suits have been really poor quality, flimsey netting rather than mesh. They don't seem to last more than 1 season. I was just about to splash out on a BB or She**if when I saw two hoods for £15.99 on Simon***beekeeper's website. At that price worth a try.

They came this morning - great, they will last me ages.

The whole suits are good too :) Ok so my sons She**f is a nice suit but my stbk one I am very impressed with.

Iain

So impressed with the package I received in the post this morning.

For the last couple of years I have noticed the hoods on my suits have been really poor quality, flimsey netting rather than mesh. They don't seem to last more than 1 season. I was just about to splash out on a BB or She**if when I saw two hoods for £15.99 on Simon***beekeeper's website. At that price worth a try.

They came this morning - great, they will last me ages.

Oh good, I am glad someone has tried one from Si as I was wanting to buy a new hood too but am worried it will not fit my suit. Please could you measure how long the zipper is from bottom stop to top stop? To help, here is a link of the anatomy of a zipper http://www.stanssewingsupplies.com/catalogs/store.asp?pid=235367

Thank you if you can measure

Please could you measure how long the zipper is from bottom stop to top stop?

Yes, the zip is 95cm from bottom to top stop.

The hoods come with both sides of the zip, if the hood does not fit your suit you can take the zip off the jacket side and replace the whole zip.

The hoods come with both sides of the zip, if the hood does not fit your suit you can take the zip off the jacket side and replace the whole zip

3bees

Can you PM me the order link for this? I couldn't find that on their site.

Thanks, Richard
-

I have a BB suit. Do like it & quality of it. Thinking of buying another suit, was going to try sher* f this time. Has anyone both & which do you prefer? & why?
Good to know that can get hoods from stb, would they fit bb suit

Hi sharonh.

I started with a couple of Sherriff suits and like them a lot.

Then because I need another at short notice and they couldn't supply, I went for a BB lightweight suit.

I love it!

Same design as their regular suit, yet much cheaper. Much cooler to work in. But even better, whatever the material is, the suit is very easy to slip on and off. However, I'm not sure it's as sting-proof as the Sherriff full suit. (But as I get to be a better beekeeper that is less of a requirement.)

Dusty.

Hi sharonh.

I started with a couple of Sherriff suits and like them a lot.

Then because I need another at short notice and they couldn't supply, I went for a BB lightweight suit.

I love it!

Same design as their regular suit, yet much cheaper. Much cooler to work in. But even better, whatever the material is, the suit is very easy to slip on and off. However, I'm not sure it's as sting-proof as the Sherriff full suit. (But as I get to be a better beekeeper that is less of a requirement.)

Dusty.

Hi Dusty,
Yes I have the same from BB wear. It's the light weight one. Great during hot days when you would just melt in a normal suit.
I love it but like yourself don't know how bee proof it would be.
One colony was very tetchy at one stage awaiting a new queen during the summer. I didn't feel confident wearing the light suit during inspection & felt more protected in my heavier suit.
I am going to try Sherriff for a change but my light weight BB suit gets the most use & will I think. For very tetchy bees at certain times, want something that I will feel more safe in so Just wanted to know how protected you'd feel in a Sherriff suit.
Regards
Sharon

This year we replaced our fleapay very heavy suits with BB lightweight, we picked the right year to try them.

Currently our bees aren't a problem, no smoke used at all, but if they get twitchy we'll add a layer or 2 underneath. Also for winter (oxalic) use we would need some more layers. As we attend any branch apiary meetings we can get to the BB suits wash and dry PDQ.

Tim.

Sorry to say I bought mine and my kids of Simon the beekeeper and my 2 zips broke at bottom of trouser leg and one if my kids zip broke at veil. This was only 2 weeks after I purchased them and now have to tape them up with duct tape :(

Sorry to say I bought mine and my kids of Simon the beekeeper and my 2 zips broke at bottom of trouser leg and one if my kids zip broke at veil. This was only 2 weeks after I purchased them and now have to tape them up with duct tape :(

I have always found Simon to be very willing to correct faulty items. Have you informed him of your problem?

Latest posts

Back