Refractometer

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've just received my refractometer from China - a Brix RHBN-90ATC.

I'm struggling at the first hurdle - adjusting the eyepiece so that the calibration scale can be clearly read - mostly blurry and difficult to even guess what it says. Any tips?

apologies if stating the obvious. Most eye pieces 'twist' to adjust focus and the scales are only reasonably eluminated once something has been put on the prism and the whole thing pointed at a light source - window, lamp etc.

Thanks... the instructions were fairly clear, but worth double checking. I 've been twisting the eyepiece, standing on the kitchen chair to be close to a very bright light, tried it with glasses on , glasses off.. demanding family members have a go too [they are fed up, so are now ignoring me].

If I manage this, the next job is adjusting to zero with distilled water...Husband took mine that I use when I make OA to put in his battery, so I foresee days of messing about with this.

family members ... they are fed up ... so are now ignoring me

Ahh, mine turned that into an art form a long time ago! Do you have a scale that goes 0-90+? Otherwise how are you going to calibrate at zero? Just a thought. Good luck with it. R

Although they are sick of me pestering, and I am leaving it for today, one of daughters admitted to being able to read the scale..... so tomorrow i'll be calling on her talents.

Still not got it working... realised I couldn't see through it because I didn't have a bright enough light... sorted.

First tried to calibrate with distilled water (plain wrong - waste of time)
Then attempted to calibrate with olive oil and managed to drop the calibration screw on the floor twice because I couldn't adjust it to the required level.

.....still stuck:beatdeadhorse5:

....not giving up though... I'm going to try pleading.......who is out there in South East London with a refractometer that works and is properly calibrated so I can check mine against it please?????

Thanks.

Hi Polyanwood, mine came 'calibrated'. Happy to come round and see if it says the same as yours.

Mike.

Excellent!!! I will provide tea or wine....

Thanks.

Yes they normally come pre-calibrated and DulwichGnome has the same one as me.

Mine is accurate, so it should be good.

:)

Maybe:cheers2: we should have a refractometer party!!

Maybe:cheers2: we should have a refractometer party!!

Few kegs of mead and plates of fine home cooking, a few bee keepers anecdotes on a nice warm day. Could there possibly be a finer way to spend a lazy afternoon amongst friends.
:sifone:

Latest posts

Back