Reducing the moisture content

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm sure it does. But most of the supers coming off at the moment are above the legal limit despite having poly hives and poly crown boards and poly roofs.

As in my case.

So we can see quite clearly that Derek's solution to reducing the water content in honey with an already high moisture content using an insulated roof won't work.
Seems from this thread there are long slow cheap ways and fast expensive ways and for the professionals, there are some really fancy very very expensive bits of honey drying kit.

I do wonder what other beekeepers do with all the money they get from selling their honey?
Mine goes into buying expensive fancy kit designed to make my life easier.
What do you do with the money you make from selling your honey?
Would seem many squander there's if they are salvaging old fridges and the like. But as George Best is once famously reported to have said..."I spend all my money on booze, women, flash cars and wild living...and squandered the rest".

Last edited:
Removing water takes energy and time there's no getting round that, whoever supplies it. So if you cant wait for the bees to supply it you will have to.

Last edited:
Which is the whole point of this thread....
dumbwit.

So you have the patent of the supply of the obvious? while simultaneously banning the use of technical terms from the fields of physical science that apply to this process.
Well, to a rather large number of your fellow biological science academics, it appears not to be that obvious. They even went to the length of publishing in learned journals how much it wasn't obvious to them.
So having a biological doctorate you clearly identify with them but you shouldnt beat yourself up so bad as to sign off your post in such self deprecating terms

Last edited:
while simultaneously banning the use of technical terms from the fields of physical science that apply to this process.

Not banning anything. The problem is that end of season honey taken away from the hive often has a high water content.
Of course it takes energy of some sort to evaporate the water.
And I apologise for the rude retort, tired and a glass of vino too many.

And he yet remains a member ! Now I get it !
Every forum needs humour and a deliverer of abusive observations of fellow members .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I'm delighted to say that the fan heater technique worked a treat. Overall moisture content reduced to 17.3.

dug up the RH needed to dry honey ... it needs to be less than 60% RH.

Btw 60%RH AT 41c is 85% at 34C and 100% at 31C

I'm sorry I can't follow that, do you mean that if the environment that the honey (or maybe more accurately ... nectar?) is in, has a Relative Humidity of <60% with a temperature of 41c (or more?) then the water content in the honey/nectar will steadily decrease - to eventually get it down to <20% water content? And if the environment is <85% Relative Humidity the temperature needs to be 34c for the nectar to cure into honey?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back