Reducing down to SingleBrood

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
3 National
Morning Guys,

I had hoped to have all my hives back down to a single BB, however one hive, which was a swarm in late June, is still going great guns and has BIAS in both BB with eggs over most of the frames, with too many frames to be manipulated into one box.

I need to get started with feeding, and had planned to nadir the super under the BB as it is quite a windy site.

If I start feeding now, the syrup will possibly be placed all over the place, and may be a waste. Is overwintering on a double Brood config possible.

Does a double BB need two further strips of Apivar?

Any suggestions as always, would be gratefully received

overwintering on a double Brood config possible
Not only possible, but far more effective: no real need to feed and bees will be ready to expand in early spring.

Beekeeping catalogues give the idea that a hive is made of one brood and 2 supers, but that misleads too many beekeepers into working cautiously.

BIAS in both BB
planned to nadir the super under the BB
Hang on: are you on one BB + a brood super, or two BBs + super?

If I start feeding now, the syrup will possibly be placed all over the place,
no, they will store it 'up top'
Is overwintering on a double Brood config possible.
Of course it is - many do, I can't understand the obsession of getting them to single brood in winter and then (I assume) going back to DB in the spring.

Thanks to you both for such a speedy reply.

I am running 2 x BB QX Super, more than happy to run double BB especially as this year I had QC in two hives on the first inspection in April. Are 2 strips of sufficient for double brood, cant find any information to suggest otherwise.

Back