Recommendations re best provision for water source ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"onto the floor where else would it go ?"

what rab was getting at is what is the point of dedicated overflow holes if the overflow ends up going the same way as any water that spills over the brim when the bucket fills? net result in the two situations is X1 inside/ Y1 outside vs X2 inside/Y2 outside where X1<X2, Y1>Y2, X1+Y1 = X2+Y2.

an overflow generally serves to prevent unwanted spillages/redirect water elsewhere.

My Bees have a big bucket, I think the big hole at one end is the Bristol Channel

I know exactly what he was getting at.
I have to stop typing things after 6 pints and half a bottle of wine. I make no sense lol well less sense .

As long as people had a laugh who cares .

Despite having an old water trough nearby mine are normally down at the muck heap that my father-in law dumped in a nearby field. They seem to prefer the slurry water. Every time I go and do an inspection I take a look and loads of bees slurping it up. Sometimes it's better not to know.....

Apart from our pond, cow poo is a great attractant.. Mud and cow poo even more so.

The smell is NOT an attractant to humans.:eek:

The preference for urine faeces and mud tainted water water would be for the uptake of minerals I would imagine, well not imagine but believe ! :sifone:

Spoke to a girl out in Johannesburg who had based her Master's studies on bees and their intake of salts etc. and her finding were..........no - they don't favour water sources with a better mineral uptake.

A florist oasis in tray of water with sticks/moss around. Safe and constant supply

http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/album.php?albumid=576&pictureid=3051

I would preffer to have natural water source the best, but unfortunatelly not.
I posted earlier within some simmilar theme. As I read, sun helps disinfect water from nosema, also if water source is above less ( not completelly safe) chance to water get contaminated.. At least I believe so..

Latest posts

Back