Recommendations on plants

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Steve, Escallonia is a good choice, there is a shrub on our allotments and it was absolutely covered with bees.

Not a very bee-friendly selection, Escallonia's the only one I'd pick out. The onl thing with buying it like that is yo don't know which one it is, could be anywhere from 2-10'.

Thanks brilliant thanks for your help, I know its not much of a selection but thinking of getting the climbing roses and Escallonia .

Thanks again

Steve

Get a single rose rather than a double, I bought one of these last year and its taken ages to grow so don't expect amazing results!

From the link below could you recommend plants ideal for bees?
Taking a quick look I'd say that most of the non-rose shrubs are good for bees, at least they are in our and our friends gardens.

There's a range of shrubs that span the whole flowering season too - Forsythia at the beginning, through to Hibiscus in the early autumn.

If you haven't got a honeysuckle (Lonicera), get one and train it either through a trellis or up a pillar/post.

Honey bees might find Buddleia difficult, the florets are too deep for their tongues, but butterflies love them. Cornus is a bit of a thug in a flowerbed, it suckers like mad and can take over.

gingerbees said:
Get a single rose rather than a double, I bought one of these last year and its taken ages to grow so don't expect amazing results!
:iagree:
Honey bees tend to prefer single, flattish, flowers.

Latest posts

Back