Recent diagnosis of Motor Neurone Disease

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gandalfwhitewizard

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Hi to all who know/meet Widders and myself,

I haven't been on the forum for quite a while and not been that well particularly the latter end of 2011.

The result was a visit to my local hospital in Canterbury and 5 days of extensive tests. The diagnosis was Motor Neurone Disease although I am waiting for the final test a genetic blood test for a rare disorder called Kennedy's disease, which only affects 1 in 40,000 worldwide and unlike other MND's it is hereditary and is an x-linked recessive disorder. Sadly, my three half-brothers are all showing signs of Kennedy's and my grand father passed away as did his brother with MND (possibly mis diagnosed).

One of the symptoms is muscle weakness and heavy lifting is now a no, no and already the max. limit of walking is 40 minutes without being tired and sore.

MND/Kennedy's is a progressive disease with no treatment or cure and not one to let this beat me I have pledged that all the while i can i will do everything to raise funds and awareness of this disease.

We have a just giving page for those who may wish to donate to the MNDA who have been brilliant and are for all MND sufferers the only support/hope of a cure. Anyone who donates and wants a beginners day with us is welcome just donate and PM or email us (we are based in Kent for those who aren't sure where we are). We will do a Queen raising course further in the year and again proceeds will be going to the MNDA.

Please, don't feel sorry for me I'm living with this disease and hopefully if it is Kennedy's disease i will have a normal lifespan but slowly loose the ability to walk, talk, swallow etc., but hopefully a long way off! Until then I will like every other beekeeper enjoy my bees and pass on the things that I have learnt and mistakes I've made!!!

Admin, I do hope that you don't mind my link here.

http://www.justgiving.com/Scott-Sinden

Scott & Geraldine

No problem regards the link Scott,and I wish you all the very best.

Karin,

Thank you, we'll have to catch up seems so long ago.

On behalf of MNDA and myself thank you for your donation every penny counts and is one step closer to finding a cure. We know everyone is watching the purse strings and there is always someone asking for money so a big thankyou and hugs from both of us.

Scott

Latest posts

Back