re-waxing a hat...

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
5...2 wooden National, 2 poly Nat & 1 poly nuc...bursting at the seams
I have the recipe for the mix to do this but it uses BOILED linseed, and I have a completely untouched bottle of RAW linseed...can I use it instead? I understand the only difference is drying time - but are there any other issues I should be aware of?

Many thanks...

Sooo Father in Laws head could burst into flames? Slight glitch I should say...Ta. Might have to go buy the proper stuff then...boo hiss the Scot in me escapes!

Doubtful it would actually burst into flames while wearing it - but remotely possible, I suppose.

IIRC, the factory burned down one day after a smouldering waste bin, containing paper towels used to mop up raw linseed oil, was rushed out of the factory at our arrival in the morning. Clearly that bin was not responsible for the fire the following night, but the cause was never determined, so it could have been a small piece of paper improperly dealt with ... we will never know...

So yes, use the proper stuff and be safe.

RAB

Mate of mine damn near burnt his house down (did a fair amount of external damage to fences and the like) with linseed-oily rags in the bins. Does the boiled stuff not do that? I did not know that. (This is probably more relevant to hive construction than beekeeping, come to think of it...)

My Godfather is helping me prepare a nice waxed outer garment for the mother in law at the moment. (He's a carpenter and undertaker)
We're making a nice double lidded pine coffin (not wasting good oak on her!)
I've invited her for a fitting on the first of October (the start of the shooting season proper!) :D

Fish and chip shop scraps also spontaneously combust.
Do you know that chippies are no longer allowed to give their customers the 'scraps', maybe that's why - they're afraid that some mad mullah will use a packet full of scraps to blow up Heathrow!

It's got to be worth a shot

Steady on, the fast response fire-arms lot will be on your case if you make posts like that!!:ohthedrama:

I have the recipe for the mix to do this but it uses BOILED linseed, and I have a completely untouched bottle of RAW linseed...can I use it instead? I understand the only difference is drying time - but are there any other issues I should be aware of?

Many thanks...
IIRC the difference between raw and boiled linseed oil is the raw stuff is pretty much as it comes out of the flax. the boiled stuff is boiled (duh) and has several chemicals added to aid in drying, i've heard several people say boiled linseed oil is not recommended for bee's but i have not seen any good sources for this. i highly doubt any harm would come to you if you use boiled on your hat.

i highly doubt any harm would come to you if you use boiled on your hat.

Hah! If I wore my FinL's hat...I'd look like a mutant toadstool...more so than usual anyway :D

Latest posts

Back