Raw pollen

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeeWise

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hello
I am new here and have a real interest in bees so this forum looked interesting. My first inquiry though is to do with bee pollen. I am looking to acquire some in its raw state and wondered if anyone here knew where I could purchase some as I do not want to buy health shop supplements.
thank you
steve

As far as I know, most UK beekeepers don't attempt to collect pollen - we allow the bees to collect it for their own consumption and occasionally curse when the combs become clogged up with the stuff!

In order to collect pollen for human use you need a pollen trap which is a modified hive entrance that forces the bees to pass through a grating or wire mesh of some sort. A small proportion of the bees returning with pollen will have their loads knocked off, and these fall down into a sheltered container.

The mouseguards which most people are fitting at this time of year have the same effect of knocking off some proportion of the pollen loads being carried through, but unfortunately the pollen will be falling onto the mud under the hives and can't be recovered!

As to where you might actually get hold of the stuff, sorry - don't know! If you're keen to source it locally you could look up a few of your nearest beekeeping associations and contact them to ask if any of their members collect pollen.

Out of interest, why are you looking for raw pollen? If it is simply to eat, you do know that most of us only filter our honey to exclude bee bits and large pieces of wax, but to allow all pollen through?

In other words, our honey contains pollen.

I am looking to acquire some in its raw state

What sort of quantity? Why not health food version, is it a small amount for education and microscopy work? A beekeeper could extract a sample from cells or collect from an inspection tray if the bees are still collecting. Weather would be a factor opening the hive this late in the year though, try asking your local association.

Latest posts

Back