Ratchet straps

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PH
I have those b....y straps in your pic- come and collect them- I hate them -Cannot get my head round their procedure for use

Ditto, I use ratchet straps instead but some of our new beekeepers have bought these straps to move their hives from our association apiary to back home. I saw the right way to use them a few weeks ago, and studied an illustrated guide on Thornes website quite recently.

Now, if you put one in front of me it would take me a very, very long time to work out how to use them - if at all. OK I can't solve a Rubik's cube but I can tie many knots blind, and some even one handed, but these straps are beyond me!

they are so simple it is what foxes so many

Shall I post some pics?

PH

I agree,so simple and very effective to use, and the only type of strap used by all commercial beekeepers,and many others that i know.

Spanset showing open untensioned arrangement.

Spanset showing detail of how the tail is fed through the tensioner

Spanset showing part tension.

Spanset showing tension on and tensioner locked by the tensioned strap.

PH

Thanks, it looks really easy, just like the Thornes pics...but I bet I can't manage it next time I see one :confused:

PH,if you get a spare 5 mins could you do members a video on how to use them.

I have been told many times they are the Rolls royce of hive straps and a video to teach members could easy stop a bad accident if they are fixed wrong for moving a hive.

For those of you that use ratchet straps as a preference, can I recommend The Ratchet Shop.
Items one, two and three on the page are probably of most interest. The cam locking straps are great for lashing together hives as they are dirt cheap and can be left to the ravages of the weather, but for moving anything other than nucs the ratchet straps are of course much better.

The standard delivery charge is £6.50 and the prices are before VAT, but if you are buying eight to ten ratchet straps then the price works out at about £3.50 each.

There is more than one way to use the Span set straps and they are very useful with not a lot of points of failure. They are nice and compact for storage, but don't quite have the same convenience as a ratchet strap for us lazy folks. :hurray:

I use the spanset (and like them) but find them to be a bit short for strapping several boxes to the stand.

Then I use the Thornes "economy" straps which are just that bit longer.

Sorry Heather,maybe its an area offer type of thing so only in certain stores.

There's a 99p shop nearby that does them at 99p!

Did a vid yesterday but got very bad background noise so am re-doing today.

PH

They are not on there website....so your doing nothing wrong.

bought a set of ratchet straps of :puke: bay last year for a hive i have started to look after, they have a problem with a resident badger who thinks it is fun to knock hive over so I straped it down - For all that i dont like a lot of thornes prices have to admit that their strap is still going strong but the other cheapy that i bought afterwards has just fallen appart on me!! webbing totally disintegrated!!

Latest posts

Back