RATCHET STRAPS

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DALEGREEN

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I need to relocate a couple of National Hives. Can anyone recommend the best ratchet straps to keep the hive together when moving. 25 mm straps seem a bit flimsy?

I’ve moved plenty with that size strap but at this time of year you may be talking multiple boxes, if in doubt add another.

Ratchet straps are a no no for poly hives. The mechanism can cut into the polystyrene. I have used hive straps with success.

Ratchet straps are a no no for poly hives. The mechanism can cut into the polystyrene. I have used hive straps with success.
If you put the ratchet mechanism at the side instead of the top it doesn't cut into the poly.

Ratchet straps are a no no for poly hives.
Really? strapped up loads of poly hives with ratchet straps when moving bees to the OSR with Saltway honey. Spanset straps can be a 'nonno' if you don't take care with the tension before securing them as they can put enough pressure on a poly hive to shatter them.

Any ratchet strap will do, For smaller hives I just use gaffer tape: easy and very good for floors which tend to move.

For hives which are top heavy I gaffer tape Crown Boards on... Just in case.

Ratchet strap ymin the side, of Paynes and Maismore. A small pice of wood can also be used to spread any load under the metal components too.

Latest posts

Back