Rapid feeder for Beehaus

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Minxpinx

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I'm looking ahead to autumn and would like to get a rapid feeder for my beehaus. The ones that I've seen on line seem to be just bigger (by a couple of mm) than the width of the super. The sides of the super would probably flex to push one in, but I'd rather get one that fits properly.
Please could you let me know if you know of one. Thanks.

I'm looking ahead to autumn and would like to get a rapid feeder for my beehaus. The ones that I've seen on line seem to be just bigger (by a couple of mm) than the width of the super. The sides of the super would probably flex to push one in, but I'd rather get one that fits properly.

Hi there, i always use a regular tub feeder (inverted type with mesh circle on top) in my beehaus. Has worked well for years, fits over the clearer board with the white section taken off. Have you tried that?

Gary

ok dont have a beehaus but in the wooden version the half supers are similar in width , i use a similar half width super on overwinter Nucs and a 3pint feeder base fits but not the lid, i trim the lid to fit with a pair of scissors

I haven't tried one of those, I'm checking out my options! Thank you.

That sounds like a plan! Thank you

ok dont have a beehaus but in the wooden version the half supers are similar in width , i use a similar half width super on overwinter Nucs and a 3pint feeder base fits but not the lid, i trim the lid to fit with a pair of scissors

Thanks for your good advice, I ordered one and as you said, it is just the lid which is slightly to big. It is now trimmed and ready to go.

I'm looking ahead to autumn and would like to get a rapid feeder for my beehaus. ....
Please could you let me know if you know of one. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

We should not confuse a rapid feeder with a slow feeder. the overhead tubs with a few holes in the lid when inverted are slow feeders for use in spring, when the colony cannot move and the feeder needs to be right over the cluster.

The query was about a rapid feeder, used in autumn to bring the colony up to 40 lbs of winter stores.

The body of a Long deep hives like the Dartington or the beehaus will only be half full of frames when reduced to 9 frames for winter. so all that is needed for rapid feeding is an open-topped honey bucket or say a rectangular plastic storage box (I use the box I use to catch the cappings when extracting).

The bucket MUST be hard up against the rear dummy frame as the bees can come down the dummy board but cannot climb up and around the lip of the bucket.

It needs a float to stop the bees drowning. A bucket is tapered so a wooden float that fits the bottom is too loose at the top when the bucket is full. I find crumpling up a plastic shopping bag and tucking it in carefully on top of the syrup works very well - the crumpling traps air underneath so it does not sink.

Do not try straw or anything like that, it soaks up syrup and sinks.

Good luck

We should not confuse a rapid feeder with a slow feeder. the overhead tubs with a few holes in the lid when inverted are slow feeders for use in spring

Called contact feeders, and still quite fast at a gallon in a day for a big colony.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back