Rant about hedge cutting in October

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im not sure of the laws in Wales dani , was that illegal ??..
2015 a big potato farmer in the golden valley nr vowchurch got a friend of mine to take out a hedge row in between two fields at night .
He ended up in court with a fine of 200.000 pounds the hedge was protected .
How do some folk get away with it ??
I know ours at home are part and parcel of a stewardship scheme as is some of the 350acres farm mainly the glibes ( olchon valley).

How much of that "fine" went back into protecting the landscape and replacing the ancient hedgerow?
Probably none at all as this present un~elected Government need the cash to pay for the ridiculous situation they have lead the great unwashed and misinformed people who live and work in this once great country of ours into...

now that's a rant!!

How much of that "fine" went back into protecting the landscape and replacing the ancient hedgerow?
Probably none at all as this present un~elected Government need the cash to pay for the ridiculous situation they have lead the great unwashed and misinformed people who live and work in this once great country of ours into...

now that's a rant!!

Probably none of the fine at all , my friend had to 're- plant and then got sacked or layed of ..... the farmer is now crocked up with gout and can't walk .... calmer is a bee....atch....:rolleyes:

I was angry and sad. I didn’t report it, more fool me.
Stan and I planted a 20 metre row in one if our fields as a minor compensation

What’s the life of a solar panel?
Can it just not be replaced?

When I was in the idustry the panels were guaranteed to product at least 80% of initial output for 20 years so I would assume most operators will be working on replacement on that sort of timescale to ensure continued outputs!

Lead, cadmium and antimony, rainwater can wash lead and cadmium into the soil while the solar panels are in position. Most are going into landfill, but in 25 to 30 years time there may be improvements in recycling.

I can understand that cadmium telluride cells will contain cadmium, but the majority 95% of cells produced now are still silicon and historically 100%. Is there any Cd in Si PV cells?

Every year the Holsworthy and Stratton agricultural Society (Devon) have a show I August and every year without fail they scalp the hedges around and near the showground so that all that is visible is bare branches. These hedges and banks in August have honeysuckle, vetch and hemp agrimony in flower plus a load of ripe blackberries and imho it is not just nesting birds that need worrying about, the plants are supporting a load of invertebrates and creatures higher up the food chain like bats. I have no respect left for any of the farmers involved with this show.

Yes it’s such a shame.
I get immense pleasure watching the clouds of fieldfares arrive in the autumn
No waxwings yet but I live in hope
At least there will be plenty of ivy berries in the spring

I can understand that cadmium telluride cells will contain cadmium, but the majority 95% of cells produced now are still silicon and historically 100%. Is there any Cd in Si PV cells?

Lead Arsenic Germanium and even gold on some of the contacts... problem is that the cost of recovery and even recycling the glass is very expensive.... easier to dump it... and when taken on as a brownfield site for later development... cover in a couple of meters of topsoil......

Accountants call this " Costing the Environment "..... and is just what the scruffy weed / hemp smelly protesting proletariat are causing chaos to the City this week for!:calmdown:

Chons da

and when taken on as a brownfield site for later development... cover in a couple of meters of topsoil.

Going slightly off topic. I can remember an area of Caerphilly, that they never built on due to contamination, houses were built a few years ago, but the owners are not allowed to grow crops in their gardens.

Going slightly off topic. I can remember an area of Caerphilly, that they never built on due to contamination, houses were built a few years ago, but the owners are not allowed to grow crops in their gardens.

The clean up after years of mining at Blaenavon is incredible!

Chons da

Every year the Holsworthy and Stratton agricultural Society (Devon) have a show I August and every year without fail they scalp the hedges around and near the showground so that all that is visible is bare branches. These hedges and banks in August have honeysuckle, vetch and hemp agrimony in flower plus a load of ripe blackberries and imho it is not just nesting birds that need worrying about, the plants are supporting a load of invertebrates and creatures higher up the food chain like bats. I have no respect left for any of the farmers involved with this show.

We get a lot of this round Newmarket, so that the studs look nice for their owners or customers. One or two flail the road-side and top of the hedge, leaving the field side, but it's by no means universal. The only wildlife that horse-racing seems to support are rooks, pigeons and buzzards.

At one time there were rules/by laws regarding hedge cutting/flailing where I used to lived in rural Essex in order to protect wildlife and the health of the hedges.

So they can’t cut the hedges they own in spring because it will disturb nesting animals, they can’t cut in summer because of more nesting animals and destroying flowers/habitat. They can’t cut in autumn because it destroys winter food or flowering ivy. Then in winter it will remove food stores/berries and disturb hibernating insects/animals and if left late prevent a significant amount of spring growth. So when are they meant to do it!!!

Latest posts

Back